• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1462843  by elecuyer

Trains Magazine News Wire has a story on the new G&U locomotives:
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... th-mp15acs

Fair use quote:
To help with growing business, Massachusetts short line Grafton & Upton has purchased three EMD MP15ACs from CSX Transportation. For the past year, the 17-mile railroad has relied solely on a leased former Milwaukee Road GATX MP15AC, which has worked well, according to general manager David Swirk. The three roster additions are ex-CSX Nos. 1158, 1160, and 1191, built as Seaboard Coast Line Nos. 4008, 4010, and 4221 in 1977-1978. The five older units, plus a road slug, all still are stored on the property. Each unit will be evaluated to determine whether it will be retained by the company. G&U F7 No. 1501, built in 1952 for Bessemer & Lake Erie, is in secure storage, and its future will be considered along with the other locomotives.
 #1462921  by daylight4449

If memory serves most of the problems are electrical in nature with the current fleet, they just all hit them in the space of a month... Traction motors, wiring glitches, etc. Not impossible to fix, but a massive headache when six units need them...
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1463022  by johnpbarlow

I imagine the "growing business" includes the pending opening of the propane transload facility at N Grafton but switching tank cars in and out of that two track facility shouldn't consume more than 1 of its collection of 4 MP15ACs (three ex-CSX plus the GATX leaser). So my question is for what other "growing business" will the other incremental power be used? I think W Upton yard is already pretty full so perhaps there is more transload business coming on-line at Hopedale? Or maybe G&U is eyeing some long rumored spin-off of CSX branch lines at Framingham?

Related query: Does G&U owner Jon Delli Priscoli have any functional relationship with Cape Rail or Mass Coastal (Iowa Pacific's holding that dispatches and maintains the Framingham Secondary)? He used to be CEO of Cape Rail but I don't know if that is the case now that IP owns the operation.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1463048  by fogg1703

johnpbarlow wrote:I imagine the "growing business" includes the pending opening of the propane transload facility at N Grafton but switching tank cars in and out of that two track facility shouldn't consume more than 1 of its collection of 4 MP15ACs (three ex-CSX plus the GATX leaser).
I'd imagine the leaser will be returned as soon as the ex CSX units are put online. If they do utilize one unit to switch the propane terminal, that would leave two "road" units to get the heavy wallboard, tank cars and pellet hoppers over and around the G&U's line. That's a redundancy I'm sure they are missing now.
 #1463520  by trainsinmaine

??? - Not that I know of. Clinton isn't in the area that's served by the G&U. It's on the PanAm Worcester main and CSX's Agricultural Branch (or whatever it's called these days). The latter has a spur into the mill, but I don't know whether Weetabix uses it.
 #1463537  by jaymac

Reisner Scrap was the last CSX customer in Clinton, but 2016 was when they closed. The Lancaster Branch -- to Lancaster Mills, the site of Weetabix -- got cut off just beyond Reisner when a wooden trestle went on fire, allegedly with assistance.
 #1463768  by BandA

Weetabix is a very sad story. Looks like globalization and corporate turnover destroyed this. And sounds like the city wasn't paying attention to their sixth-largest taxpayer. Maybe a combination of tax breaks, direct railroad service and local hands-on ownership could have had a different outcome.

It always seemed weird to have a cereal manufacturer in Massachusetts. You would expect them to be in Arkansas or Iowa or Alberta.

Weetabix's flagship product is similar to Shredded Wheat. Weetabix is practically unknown in US, and I assume they were doing lots of private-label manufacturing.
 #1463985  by MaineCoonCat

Weetabix is part of Post Consumer Brands, as in Post cereals and many others including "private label" (aka. "store brand") food products.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting