Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1058033  by krispy

Thanks for all of the replies! I didn't know about the mines out East by BH, Quogue, etc. And I will certainly check out the Pt. Wash memorial - thanks for posting!

Good luck with the BRT Jay, looks like an easier commute!
 #1058166  by Teutobergerwald

Anybody know if NYA has tried to drum up new business at Setauket? Are the tracks shown in the picture from 1970 with the trio of LIRR Alco RS-1's still in place, and connected to the main track?
 #1058273  by jayrmli

The switch at Setauket is no more. The same interests that own the Setauket site are connected with BRT in Yaphank, so it would make no sense to take cars there as well.

Thanks Krispy...and yes a much shorter commute for me!

Jay
 #1240503  by NIMBYkiller

The sand miners monuments is off of West Shore Rd in a parking lot just south of the light for Harbor Links golf course entrance. I'm assuming that's also the location of the conveyor tunnel which is said to have been incorporated into the monument. I remember as a kid the old sand mine long after it was abandoned. There was a massive structure that I guess was the elevator and conveyor.

The "tunnel" under Sands Point Rd is really more of an underpass ever since the mining operation. You'll notice how Sands Point Rd slopes uphill gently from Manorhaven into Sands Point, but if you're on any street from Boxwood and up til about Kirkwood, you'll notice that its all flat but dead ends at a steap hill with Sands Point up top. This is the neighborhood that was mined. The underpass, as was said before can be viewed from Ashwood (between Ford and Cambridge) or on the other side at the back of the Sousa parking lot. This underpass, according to a website that had been referred to on this website years ago, was for a turn around loop used by a rail service that carried the sand closer to the water for loading on to barges.As far as I know, It was NOT ever connected to LIRR.
 #1460518  by electric heat

Also found this photo, appears to be a possible sand hopper on one of the isolated railroads in Port Wash since there's no data or info on the car body, but perhaps could be for a coal consignee...