Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Locomotive in-house overhaul

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1452666  by Mbtagp40mc

I’m just curious, what does this in-house overhaul entail? I just saw 1051 in Needham. I was first in line at the railroad crossing at Needham Heights Station and it passed me. As it was approaching, I heard an E-Bell and a K5LA that sounded like an HSP-46. But as I saw it, to my delight, it was 1051.

I’m assuming the horn and bell were swapped during the overhaul, but were there any improvements to prime mover, HEP generator, etc or structural improvements? Still looked rusty as hell.

-Paul
 #1456354  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

The F40's are going thru an in-house rebuild. Along with new window frames, and ebell and digital fuel reader gauge, they are being equipped with cameras 1033, 1030, 1051, 1071, and a few others have already come out and are about
 #1456367  by F-line to Dudley via Park

1013 was the only Screamer that was still operable when it went into off-roster storage; all 16 other units were broken down in some way, shape, or form as of their last runs and were sent to the dead line without ever being repaired. Some are much more broken than others, and missing parts that were used to patch other (also now broken) Screamers. To say the effort to get that fleet powered again would be major and majorly costly is an understatement. The current overhaul programs are only funded enough to get the dead -2C's back on the active roster. The contract options to actually rotate the heavily-worn but still active -2C units out for overhauls that would give them some measure of decade-level service stability still haven't been funded at all. It's not even practical to evaluate options for laying a finger on the Screamers (if it's dollars-and-sense practical at all given their shape) until the full scope of the -2C life extension contract options have been drained. And that's hardly a certain bet given how wishy-washy the FCMB was about this on-again/off-again/on-again -2C overhaul program in the first place.
 #1456410  by Bramdeisroberts

Is it bad that I still would love to see someone rebuild the screamers with something along the lines of an EPA-skirting 12-710 repower or something similar?

Though I agree, the only way you'll ever see them move under their own power again is as heavily rebuilt units for someone, almost certainly not the T, who wants new-ish power and parts/maintenance commonality with an existing F40 fleet. Sadly, the number of operators nationwide who fit that bill is growing smaller by the day.
 #1459498  by CRail

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:1013 was the only Screamer that was still operable when it went into off-roster storage; all 16 other units were broken down in some way, shape, or form as of their last runs and were sent to the dead line without ever being repaired.
The screamers were retired when they were because their 4 year paperwork was expired and it was decided not to do the necessary service to preserve them for another 4 years. So when routine maintenance needs popped up, they were pulled from service. That's not the same as being "broken." This is standard operating procedure when it comes to phasing out fleets, the MBTA's RTS buses recently went the same way in that some buses were sent to Everett and decommissioned because they needed an oil change.
To say the effort to get that fleet powered again would be major and majorly costly is an understatement.
So what would be accurate statement? Based on what analysis? According to your opinion, "razor blade fodder" has been returned to active service and more is slated for commuter service in another state, despite one's declaration that the latter would never even be considered.

Mod Note: I have no issue with anyone expressing their feelings and beliefs any more than I have expressing my own. Opinions are more than welcome, but they must be so regarded.
 #1460991  by Trinnau

mgdemarco wrote:Screamer 1133 is in service leaving South Station right now. Appears to be a Middleborough train, track 10.
The "Screamers" are F40PH locomotives in the 1000-1017 class. The got their nickname from needing to run the main engine at full-throttle in order to provide Head End Power, hence they always "screamed" as if they were at full-power.

The 1100s are GP40MCs, and they have a stand-alone HEP generator made by Caterpillar that is not tied to the main engine.
 #1461002  by craven

Trinnau,

Thank You for the definition of a "Screamer".

I also thought that the GP40MC's were screamers as I have walked by a few at North Station and they were revving high and very loud !
 #1461011  by Trinnau

No problem, the GP40s are certainly the loudest remaining locomotives in service. The HEP is what is making all the noise. If the HEP is offline they are much quieter.
Last edited by CRail on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.