Railroad Forums 

• Metro North - Radio Maintainer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1401238  by DutchRailnut

so most of info is in application ? you will receive better salary and Benefits for this position and opportunity to move to other jobs, If you know what radio Maintainer entails ??
 #1416441  by crunch704

I am sure I signed a non-disclosure agreement about the test, so don't expect specifics. I can say, I took a test for CT Elect Tech a few years ago. On that... there was basic algebra. A few word/math problems. Questions about CTCSS and digital codes/freqs. Bandwidth. Computer IP stuff. And a few other things I just don't remember.

As for the work Metro North does. During my interview, they stressed "PA systems". Talking to someone that USED to work in that shop, he mentioned 1970's vintage equipment. You might want to keep that in mind when studying (remote control circuits; tone freqs for remotes; etc...). In the old old days, some remote circuits were DC controlled (polarity A = transmitter off; polarity swapped/flipped = transmitter on). I doubt highly any of that stuff is in the field... but, you never know.

With the above in mind, and the dates of the posts... I have to assume you (the original poster) took the test already. Any word? Any interview?? I have been waiting in "a pool" of candidates since I was informed I passed the test and interview in June. My inside sources says things move very SLOW. Am curious if anyone else had any movement.
 #1422285  by crunch704

Just for the record. I took the PAT (Physical Ability Test) and medical screening on Feb 21 (Ironically 8 months to the day of the interview). Was told I passed everything. HR still says "no openings" (as of today, March 1).
 #1452320  by crunch704

UPDATE: Sometime in early August 2017, I got a call from HR offering the job (about 2 years since application!?!?). Told them I was already in a similar job, at a different railroad (and had been there for 4 months). The moral of this story is: if you are looking for instant gratification, it might be wise to find a different career. or... patience is a virtue!
 #1452359  by matawanaberdeen

crunch704 wrote:UPDATE: Sometime in early August 2017, I got a call from HR offering the job (about 2 years since application!?!?). Told them I was already in a similar job, at a different railroad (and had been there for 4 months). The moral of this story is: if you are looking for instant gratification, it might be wise to find a different career. or... patience is a virtue!
Wow, just wow.