Railroad Forums 

• CMQ Motive power

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1446499  by 690

I would assume that they have, and that either they took care of it, or MMA never needed to do any real engine work on them (which would be my guess, B23-7s are good engines, and Santa Fe and BNSF had overhauled them).
 #1446527  by MEC407

In fairness, the C30-7s were also in excellent shape when MMA first acquired them and they had been very well maintained up to that point.

- - -

Considering that the Bondo repairs didn't hold up for very long, I suspect CMQ would've had to address them by now if they were done to the B23-7s, keeping in mind that those repairs would've been made at least three or four years ago. And the consequences are quite well known, given the publicity and notoriety surrounding the disaster in Quebec, so it's not as if CMQ would've been unaware. I can't imagine that CMQ management would be so foolish as to not check for stuff like that. Presumably they don't want to be another MMA.
 #1446898  by 690

The C30s had been sitting in deadlines for several years when the MMA got them... they definitely weren't in excellent shape by any means. MMA bought them because they were cheap, not because they were good engines. Given that fact, they did get their money's worth out of them, especially towards the end when they were being band-aided back together.
 #1446978  by Cowford

Given that fact, they did get their money's worth out of them, especially towards the end when they were being band-aided back together.
Until one of those band-aid repairs set in play a series of events that cost the railroad - and 47 PQ citizens - everything.
 #1446988  by MEC407

690 wrote:The C30s had been sitting in deadlines for several years when the MMA got them... they definitely weren't in excellent shape by any means.
That contradicts what I was told by an MMA manager when the C30s first arrived in Maine. The 3600s in particular were said to have been freshly overhauled when MMA got them.
 #1447155  by MEC407

Correct, the ex-FAIX ones — some were in ARR livery and some were in FXE livery. But this person also told me that the ex-BN ones were in good shape and had been well-maintained up to that point.

My point is simply that the C30s still had a lot of life left in them when MMA acquired them. What happened after that is well known.
 #1447190  by CPF363

Is there any indication as to whether the CM&Q will look to acquire any Dash-8s from GE?
 #1447240  by MEC407

It was mentioned a while back that they were possibly looking into leasing some AC4400s. Not sure if that's still the case or if they have other plans. The prices on Dash 8s right now are very, very favorable... but leased AC4400s have a number of compelling advantages that the Dash 8s don't have. I'm sure it all depends on crunching the numbers, and also on what CMQ's traffic projections are.
 #1447277  by KSmitty

Rumor hazit that a couple AC's have been leased. Supposedly they are going to arrive on property in CM&Q blue and gray. They will be testing these. There will be more available to them next year when a lease on a big block of them expires elsewhere, but that will depend on price/performance/fuel savings, etc.
 #1447667  by Dcl1332

Too add to KSmitty posted. 3 weeks ago there was a lot of talk on CMQ Facebook pages about these locomotives. It was mention by Kevin Burkholder that CMQ may buy some of these engines but it depends. More then likely the factors KSmitty mention.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1447910  by Dcl1332

Has CMQ still been using CITX locomotives 3071 and 3091 or are they back to being stored at Derby? Have not hear much about them sence 3053 and 3082 left for Ohio.
 #1454560  by Dcl1332

Just saw this on a Facebook post by Harry Gordon. At least 3 GP20D are being leased. CEFX 2001, 2015, and 2028. Surprise to see GP20D back. CMQ must really need more power.
 #1454679  by MEC407

Those things are garbage. Hope they're getting a good deal...
 #1454698  by Dcl1332

Hopefully it may be a deal to get CMQ by till the AC4400s are ready to go sence from what I have heard there also from CITX. Fingers crossed. CMQ has been moving power around lately. With 2001 (OOS but sounds like it’s going to Derby for repairs), 2002, and now 2006 on the Rockland Branch. Which leaves 2003, 2004, and the lease units (except 3071 and 3091) to do the Bangor sub and Vermont branch lines. This could mean they could be hear to help on those lines.