Railroad Forums 

• Looking for Info on Lost Railroad Line to Sodus Bay

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1447208  by poppyl

Happened to be reading the historical files for 1917 in a local weekly newspaper and came across an article describing the stoppage of construction of a rail line to Sodus Bay. What caught my attention was the route which brought it north from Savona past Lamoka and Waneta Lakes and up between Keuka and Seneca Lakes (probably down Crystal Valley and then up Chubb Hollow just west of Dundee although the article is not clear on that exact part of the route). Apparently construction of some portion the ROW as well as several bridges had been completed before everything was killed.

Can anyone shed some light on the history of the proposed rail line?

Thanks.

Poppyl
 #1447225  by RussNelson

poppyl wrote:Happened to be reading the historical files for 1917 in a local weekly newspaper and came across an article describing the stoppage of construction of a rail line to Sodus Bay. What caught my attention was the route which brought it north from Savona past Lamoka and Waneta Lakes and up between Keuka and Seneca Lakes (probably down Crystal Valley and then up Chubb Hollow just west of Dundee although the article is not clear on that exact part of the route). Apparently construction of some portion the ROW as well as several bridges had been completed before everything was killed.
Everything I know about it is here. I appreciate corrections and additions. Can you send me a copy of the article you found?
http://russnelson.com/unfinished-railro ... ndSouthern" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1447281  by poppyl

The reference appeared in the October 11, 2017 edition of The Observer (formerly the Dundee Observor). Their website is http://www.observer-review.com. I do not know if you can read the paper on-line w/o a subscription. The original article came from the October 10, 1917 edition of the Schuyler County Chronicle. It also mentions the started but incompleted line on the east side of Seneca Lake.

Both papers are sources of historical railroad information -- mostly about the Northern Central or Fallbrook RRs.

What piqued my interest in the proposed railline from Savona was what route it would take from Waneta Lake northward. Waneta and Lamoka are about 350 feet higher than Penn Yan and the east side of Keuka around the town of Barrington is another sharp 150 feet at least above Waneta at Wayne. The only route that seem sensible to me was as I described but even that included significant grades until reaching Milo Center. Maybe that is what ultimately killed the proposed rail line.

Poppyl