Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1417557  by doublebell

The cable layer RESPONDER is currently picking up cable at TE SubCom
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
 #1418857  by MEC407

Video by drc930:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-QtdSq_X0I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1419454  by MECFAN

DO-1 inbound Rte-33 with 3 Boise and 7 Propane they left 3 Tyco's at Rockingham. The branch has been busy this week.
 #1420669  by ereuter

DO-1/310 ran light to clear the branch today: Portsmouth - Rockingham - Portsmouth - Newington - Portsmouth (may have had empties coming back from Newington).

Also, a trailer has been installed in preparation for demolition of the old office building. Electicians were hooking up the power this afternoon.
Attachments:
2017-02-14 14.21.47 copy.jpg
2017-02-14 14.21.47 copy.jpg (290.79 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
 #1423070  by MEC407

The new Sarah Long Bridge is coming along nicely. News video from WMTW-8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoxfPUHhOa4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1426889  by Dick H

DO-1 west out of Dover at 11:20Am bound for Portsmouth with the
509w, one box car, one load of lumber and six LPG tank cars...(4/5/17)
 #1434043  by mokanpy

ereuter wrote:DO-1/310 ran light to clear the branch today: Portsmouth - Rockingham - Portsmouth - Newington - Portsmouth (may have had empties coming back from Newington).

Also, a trailer has been installed in preparation for demolition of the old office building. Electicians were hooking up the power this afternoon.
What's the progress on the old office? Photos?
 #1434136  by MECFAN

The old office which was in the back of Gary's Beverage is gone, they took it down about a month or so ago. There is another building that is attached to it and is still standing, not sure when that will come down.
 #1441402  by arthur d.

Well, they did it. Gary's Beverage and everything else is gone, including the last remnant of the old Concord railroad shops, which was about 50 yards south (RR west) of the Gary's complex. Not a word of protest from the Historic District Commission. Funny how that works when the city's interests are at stake.
 #1441403  by gokeefe

arthur d. wrote:Not a word of protest from the Historic District Commission. Funny how that works when the city's interests are at stake.
There has to be something to actually preserve beyond just a shell. The presence (or lack thereof) of original interior trims and finishes or original equipment is a major consideration.
 #1441659  by Dick H

Track Department has had the Portsmouth Branch OOS much of the day
all this week between Emery and Rockingham. Maybe some routine "touch
up work", or maybe those proposed daily LPG moves to Sea-3 will be coming
this fall.
 #1441853  by mokanpy

arthur d. wrote:Well, they did it. Gary's Beverage and everything else is gone, including the last remnant of the old Concord railroad shops, which was about 50 yards south (RR west) of the Gary's complex. Not a word of protest from the Historic District Commission. Funny how that works when the city's interests are at stake.
I'm not familiar with that structure. Do you have a photo or google earth view?
 #1443560  by Bulkheadflat

Very sad to see Gary's bev go, I've been stocking up on beer there and walking the tracks next to it during stops in Portsmouth since the early 90's. That was my most reliable place to find the beloved Schaefer, at a reasonable price, for so long!
 #1443575  by arthur d.

Gary's still exists. It moved to the Rte 1 bypass (northbound) and a smaller satellite store went in just up the street from the original Gary's.
 #1452713  by ShortlinesUSA

Good afternoon.

I will briefly be in the Portsmouth area later this month, on a Friday. Are there any predictable days/times for the DO-1 to run this branch at present? Looking back through posts a job was once based on the line, but now comes down from Rigby the best I can tell. I didn't know if there was any chance for a locomotive to be parked somewhere if nothing running.

Any information is greatly appreciated!