Railroad Forums 

• Weekend Action around Ayer

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1442782  by JHB

Hi!
If I were to come by Ayer on a Saturday, would it be worth it, or is the action really on a lull. Unfortunately, work is starting up so Weekends are the only daytime chances I have of seeing trains.
 #1442952  by Plate C

Ah, how many times I have shot for it only to be left with crap! They certainly have an odd was of doing things. It is a tough call, you can sit at any of their spots all day long and you're bound to see something, but the question is when. Often seems like they are only able to move their trains a few railyards ahead at a time before being canned for one thing or another. Don't know a ton on Ayer but have found with any Pan Am spot that if you're sitting and not seeing anything you might try going forward or back to the next yard along the line, probably going to find your train idling there. Always seems to be a friendly railfan with a scanner at any spot when something is happening that can fill you in with real time info.