Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1430472  by Kilo Echo

Some projects really seem to be inexplicably slow, videlicet, the new "Platform C" at Springfield Union Station (SPG). In June 2016, MassLive reported that "everything but the platform will be completed in December and open in January 2017 …" and that a six-inch ADA discrepancy "puts construction back six months, but only for Platform C." At present, not only is the station scheduled to reopen nearly six months late, the platform "will be completed by early 2018." So far, there has been no sign of any platform work in Springfield. Furthermore, the projects to construct 400-foot, ADA-compliant platforms at NHT and GFD—to have been completed two years ago—continue to languish.
 #1430476  by gokeefe

That issue is the result of a regulatory change by the FRA. I would have to check the chronology but I believe part of the problem is that the regulations changed just around the time the design work was completed. A similar issue happened in Roanoke but because design work was not completed it was caught in time. There may have been a lack of regulatory clarity from the FRA on which projects were going to be allowed under the "old" rules.
 #1430809  by bratkinson

I've been riding 422, 30, and am presently on 148. Wifi coverage non-existent to very slow on the NEC. Only Metropolitan lounge access making the trip to/from LAX.
gokeefe wrote:
bratkinson wrote:Obviously, Easterners are more complacent about slow construction times than their counterparts elsewhere.
Perhaps a deliberate and meaningless provocation on your part. The premise is in my opinion unworthy of consideration.
Not intended as a provocation, but only an opinion based on my own observations.
 #1438808  by GirlOnTheTrain

Operator for NHHS - err...Hartford Line service if you insist. Not Amtrak.
http://fox61.com/2017/07/24/malloy-to-m ... rain-line/
Service will be a joint venture of TransitAmerica Services and Alternate Concepts . The company will operate and manage service on the CTrail Hartford Line. Service will begin in May 2018.
 #1438810  by Jeff Smith

Copied from the MNRR thread on the actual service (this thread covers how it pertains to Amtrak) posted by Girl on the Train:
Here is the actual press release...quote includes a tidbit that the news article I posted earlier did not.
http://portal.ct.gov/en/Office-of-the-G ... tford-Line
Amtrak will remain responsible for maintenance of the railroad infrastructure, including track signals, train dispatching, and right-of-way security. Amtrak’s existing service will not be altered by Hartford Line service. CTrail trains will operate together with Amtrak trains on the rail line to provide seamless Hartford Line service.
So the shuttles remain; it's still an Amtrak owned, dispatched, and maintained line with CT financial support.
 #1438813  by ebtmikado

I predicted here nearly 5 months ago that ACI would get the contract.
That organization has labor troubles wherever it operates. Expect the same here.
When workers strike, or do slowdowns, then the state will see the foolishness of its decision.

Lee
 #1438866  by Dick H

There will be no extension to Boston, until the state of MA buys the line from
Worcester to Springfield from CSX and puts back the second track that was
removed several decades ago between WOR and SPG.
 #1438881  by Backshophoss

With EHH at CSX's helm,it will be at a price well beyond fair value for that segment,the "Inland Route" will remain a "pipe dream" unless
CSX goes Bankrupt.
 #1438889  by jp1822

lirrelectrician wrote:I think all Amtrak shuttles should be extended either to Boston or points north. Leave the rest to the commuter trains. Maybe even offer through ticketing too.
It would be nice if they could at least get one (or two) shuttles extended up to White River Junction. There shouldn't be any investment required to do this since most of the line was just upgraded and updated!!! It's also not a new concept.
 #1438910  by johnpbarlow

Dick H wrote:There will be no extension to Boston, until the state of MA buys the line from
Worcester to Springfield from CSX and puts back the second track that was
removed several decades ago between WOR and SPG.
CSX currently only operates about 14 daily freights east of Springfield, MA:
- Selkirk-PAR/P&W manifest trains Q426 & Q427
- Selkirk-Framingham manifest trains Q436 & Q437
- Autorack loads/empties to/from E Brookfield Q264 & Q263
- W Springfield-Palmer turn local B740
- Intermodals from Worcester Q007/Q017/Q019 and to Worcester Q012/Q020/Q022 eb

Seems like 14 daily freights and half a dozen Amtrak trains (ie, 20 total) should be able share a single track CTC line.
 #1438914  by Gilbert B Norman

lirrelectrician wrote:I think all Amtrak shuttles should be extended either to Boston or points north. Leave the rest to the commuter trains. Maybe even offer through ticketing too.
Wasn't the intent of the State investment to have Amtrak only operate the Vermonter and the Bankers/Connecticut Yankee? The Shuttles simply are outside the scope of RPSA70.
 #1438932  by Jeff Smith

The plan a while back according to some knowledgeable members was that Amtrak would skip Wallingford, Meriden, and possibly one of the "Windsors". Thus, the service becomes more express. That would be for both shuttles and regionals, I'm pretty sure.