Railroad Forums 

• Harlem Division Grade Crossings in Westchester

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1427874  by LastStopValhalla

I am looking for maps/ charts that show road grade crossings with their milepost locations on the Harlem Division in Westchester County for any time pre-1970, namely 1920-1970.

Also, I am interested in any information from the New York Central or NY State about projects that eliminated grade crossings in places such as Pleasantville, Mount Kisco, and Goldens Bridge, and long-proposed elimination projects that have yet to come to fruition, including Roaring Brook Road.

As part of my research project, LAST STOP VALHALLA, I am exploring historical grade crossing incidents on the Harlem Line (Division) in Westchester, grade crossing safety, and the history of the longtime push to eliminate certain crossings.

http://www.LastStopValhalla.com
 #1427926  by Otto Vondrak

So, what exactly are you getting at? I visited your facebook page, and I don't get what you're doing other than gathering gruesome photos of railroad crossing collisions. Enlighten me.

-otto-
 #1427929  by LastStopValhalla

I have been a firefighter in New York State since 2002, and I am also a fire and safety researcher/ writer who has received an offer to write a publication for the New York State Academy of Fire Science on the management of "high severity, low frequency" incidents using the 2/3/15 Valhalla grade crossing collision as an example. As part of that project, I am studying grade crossing safety, including the nearly 100 year long push to close or modify certain Harlem Division/ Metro North Harlem Line crossings.

If all you got from my page are gruesome photos, I invite you to read more. Actually there are no "gruesome" photos. Destructive, perhaps, but not gruesome. The photos of the operation illustrate the heroism and dedication displayed on that frigid night. I was almost there, as my engine company was in the next group of units that would have responded to the scene if needed. Instead, we covered Hawthorne and returned to quarters without going down to the site.

What do I want from this question? More information the history of grade crossings on the Harlem Division in Westchester. That is it.
 #1427993  by Backshophoss

Believe there's still talk of closing Roaring Brook rd(aka Reader's Digest rd) in Chappaqua,Green's Lane at the Mt Kisco/Bedford Hills town line.
The bigger push is the trio of crossings near the cemeteries in Mt Pleasant area.

There's a thread in the Metro North forum on the Commerce St accident.
Some of these crossings "double" as Saw Mill River Parkway exit/entry points, with and without traffic signals.

You might want to view a copy of the Book"The Coming of the New York and Harlem Railroad" by Lou Grogan
 #1428035  by TCurtin

RE your interest in the big "elimination" projects in Mt. Kisco and Pleasantville, the former was done about 1955 and the latter in 1959. I recall there were good articles about each in the NY Times when they were done. You can easily get these in a large public library which has them on microfilm, and also will probably have NY Times Index books to help you find them