Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1427250  by flexliner

with the two recent derailments there have been cancellations and a lot of track mish mash
including LIRR as low as 10 from what i read
i tried a search but did not really find anything

the lowest LIRR track in daily use is 13 i believe but how low can they go in "emergency" cases
and given the distribution of the corridors how do passengers get directed to lower tracks

amtrak and NJT use up to 16 i believe regularly
can they go higher in emergency?
how are those passengers directed? though IIRC there are stairs as high as 19 in the amtrak concourses
 #1427552  by awtprod

They just announce the track like normal. I know you can walk straight through to the NJ Transit concourse in at least of one of the LIRR corridors. I'm pretty sure that I've boarded a LIRR train at least once that way.
 #1427555  by Backshophoss

Figure on another round or more as Amtrak replaces switch ties after the last rash of picked switches/wide gauge derailments.
 #1427563  by geico

flexliner wrote:with the two recent derailments there have been cancellations and a lot of track mish mash
including LIRR as low as 10 from what i read
i tried a search but did not really find anything

the lowest LIRR track in daily use is 13 i believe but how low can they go in "emergency" cases
and given the distribution of the corridors how do passengers get directed to lower tracks

amtrak and NJT use up to 16 i believe regularly
can they go higher in emergency?
how are those passengers directed? though IIRC there are stairs as high as 19 in the amtrak concourses
The Exit Concourse has connectivity to all the tracks. On 13-21 its setup like LIRR. ON 12 and lower it looks like Amtrak/NJT, but you can get to all the tracks. This also has the stairs/escalators to the main Amtrak area.

There are stairs for 1-16 off the main Amtrak concourse, and 1 stair to 17 off to the side by the LIRR corridor and the pretzel place.

THere is 3rd rail on all 21 tracks, though it may not be live on all the tracks all the time.
There was also catenary on all 21 tracks, but I think its decommissioned on 18-21 now.
 #1427570  by flexliner

Thought stubs 1-4 lacked third rail.
Must be quite the stampede when a regular track 15 or 16 train leaves 11 or 10 or lower.
 #1427630  by geico

Regular ops has LIRR only using 13-21 at rush hour.
If below 13 is used it is for arrivals generally.

Last weeks NJT derailment was the one of the few time I remember leaving from 10, 11, 12.
 #1427681  by onorclose7

LIRR trains can get as far as 5 track from lines 1&2 although I've never seen them any lower than 10 track
 #1428038  by JamesRR

Tracks 1-4 do not have third rail - but they do have the alternating wider ties that could accommodate installation of third rail in the future.

When LIRR was using tracks below 13, they had attendants calling out the tracks to customers in the EXIT concourse by the appropriate staircases. As NJT's track indicators do not work, there was no messaging on them. However, when NJT uses LIRR tracks, all train information is displayed on LIRR's destination boards next to track entrances.
 #1428060  by Amtrak7

Arriving on 11/12 in the morning rush is not that uncommon. But boarding eastbound it is very rare, I can't recall it happening before this month's incident. A lot of the signage and online interfaces didn't support tracks < 13 until it was fixed in time for the last impacted PM rush.
 #1428159  by scopelliti

The map I have (and it could be outdated) shows tracks 1-4 are stub-ended and do not connect to the East River tunnels. So LIRR usage would be virtually impossible (OK, they could do a reverse move west, then east). Or is my map incorrect?
 #1428163  by mp15ac

JamesRR wrote:Tracks 1-4 do not have third rail - but they do have the alternating wider ties that could accommodate installation of third rail in the future.
Actually, those tracks had third rail back when Penn Station was opened. Until overhead was added Pennsy used DD1 electrics to pull trains between Penn Station and Manhattan Transfer.

Stuart
 #1428174  by geico

JamesRR wrote:Tracks 1-4 do not have third rail - but they do have the alternating wider ties that could accommodate installation of third rail in the future.

When LIRR was using tracks below 13, they had attendants calling out the tracks to customers in the EXIT concourse by the appropriate staircases. As NJT's track indicators do not work, there was no messaging on them. However, when NJT uses LIRR tracks, all train information is displayed on LIRR's destination boards next to track entrances.
I've always wondered why since it the same system used for PSCC, that the LIRR boards can show NJT and Amtrak on 13-16, but NJT/Amtrak cant show it on their side.

Also it was blantly obvious that that the new digital displays for LIRR couldnt show lower than 13 which the main boards could during the derailment.
 #1428179  by JamesRR

geico wrote:

I've always wondered why since it the same system used for PSCC, that the LIRR boards can show NJT and Amtrak on 13-16, but NJT/Amtrak cant show it on their side.

Also it was blantly obvious that that the new digital displays for LIRR couldnt show lower than 13 which the main boards could during the derailment.
On the exit concourse, all of the NJT/Amtrak boards are virtually out of order. Not sure what would show up on the main level.
 #1428180  by JamesRR

mp15ac wrote:
Actually, those tracks had third rail back when Penn Station was opened. Until overhead was added Pennsy used DD1 electrics to pull trains between Penn Station and Manhattan Transfer.

Stuart
Yes - it seems when the tracks were re-laid provisions were made to install 3rd rail again, but it was not done - since NJT exclusively uses those tracks now.
 #1428188  by geico

JamesRR wrote:
geico wrote:

On the exit concourse, all of the NJT/Amtrak boards are virtually out of order. Not sure what would show up on the main level.
I was referring to the platform level signs.