Railroad Forums 

• Complaint about "eyesore" boxcars in Bloomsbury, NJ.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1423282  by Ken W2KB

Complaint about "eyesore" boxcars in Bloomsbury, NJ.

"For the last year, Norfolk Southern Railroad has seen fit to park a string of boxcars right in the middle of our residential neighborhood. These boxcars are dilapidated, ugly, . . ."

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon/index.ssf/2 ... iver_index
 #1423353  by rrbluesman

"Mr. Fesen offered no reason other than to state the tracks belonged to Norfolk Southern and they can put their cars wherever they want." I love trains and I am an architect - potential homeowners, my advice to you is this: if you don't appreciate trains or don't want to look at or hear trains, then the best option is not to buy homes on or near to railroad tracks. Norfolk Southern is not parking their rolling stock in the middle of the pavement out front of your house, they are storing equipment on Norfolk Southern's property for a temporary period until the rolling stock disposition is decided. I acknowledge graffito is unpleasant, the railroads spend enormous amounts of money every year to address the problem, but I understand why NS will not repaint cars they intend to scrap, it's a waste of NS's money. Bottom line, plain and simple, if you are "concerned" about trains "...affecting property values...", don't buy a house on or near to railroad tracks!

-Ed
 #1423420  by carajul

I just read the article. The guy says that NS has the legal right to park boxcars on their property but also an "ethical imperative" to keep neighborhood in good standing. I don't even know wtf "ethical imperative" means but this sounds like another democratic voting liberal snowflake who likes to complain about everything.

Here's an idea... don't buy a home near RR tracks.

It looks like they are parked on an unused spur that branches off the Leigh Line to the south of the town.
Last edited by carajul on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1423422  by SemperFidelis

Wow, a democratic, liberal snowflake...

That homeowner must be a democrat and a liberal 'cause he used big, scary words. Really?

Politics do not belong on a railroad forum. Grow up and keep it to yourself.
 #1423452  by rr503

I would agree with the 'quit complaining' crowd normally, but it would be so so easy for NS to just move the cars a couple thousand feet that, you know, it would just be a nice thing to do...

FWIW, here's a synopsis of politics in the town:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomsb ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;