Railroad Forums 

• Pass Car Washer at Morris Park or Richmond Hill or?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1416419  by nyandw

krispy wrote:While Morris Park may have had one in the past, that one looks similar to the old one at Hunterspoint. I never saw it working so I could be wrong.
This is part of the Steve Hoskins collection. He was accurate as to locations. This was from the 1960's photo group and perhaps was removed sometime after.

Found it on the Emery 1958 map:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... s-1958.jpg location #13 just to the right of the stairs west of the Advance yard and on the lead to the Richmond Hill storage yard... :-)
 #1416456  by jhdeasy

Here is a 1969 view of the car washer at Hunterspoint Avenue, from the collection of Dave Keller. The view is looking east.

The car washer mechanism in this photo looks virtually identical to the one in the first photo above. However, I would agree that the machine washing the 2947 is located at Morris Park rather than Hunterspoint Avenue.

Does the Hunterspoint Avenue car washer still exist? If it does, is it still used for washing trains serviced at the LIC passenger yard?
 #1416462  by BuddR32

jhdeasy wrote:Image

Here is a 1969 view of the car washer at Hunterspoint Avenue, from the collection of Dave Keller. The view is looking east.

The car washer mechanism in this photo looks virtually identical to the one in the first photo above. However, I would agree that the machine washing the 2947 is located at Morris Park rather than Hunterspoint Avenue.

Does the Hunterspoint Avenue car washer still exist? If it does, is it still used for washing trains serviced at the LIC passenger yard?
It may exist in whole or part. It can be seen from the station platform, although it is not used anymore. The only operable ones are in Babylon, Richmond Hill and Ronkonkoma. There was also one like this in Babylon yard, not where the current one is, actually in the yard.
 #1416463  by nyandw

Thank you, Jack! Yes the backgrounds are different and I have had confirmation that my Hoskin's photo is at the Emery location #13 I perviously indicated. I would concur that these car washers "should" look alike or be identical.

LIRR #610 Car Washer Hunter's Point Ave View E 08/10/1983 Archive: Dave Keller