Railroad Forums 

• LNE Lansford Station in 2016

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1410518  by carajul

Still has the sign - not bad after 55 years after end of operations!
Also row looking east toward Summit Hill. Double track with crossover switches still here!

[attachment=0]IMG_1750.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMG_1749.JPG[/attachment]
 #1411648  by pumpers

Carajul, maybe a year ago you posted about Reading and Northern(?) rehabbing tracks (maybe double track), and/or digging dirt off of them, near Lansford. How far away from the station was that? On the Arlington side I suppose. Thanks for your reports. Jim S
 #1411755  by carajul

R&N rehab'd the track from Tamaqua all the way thru Coaldale. The Greenwood breaker is up and running again and shipping by rail. The line thru Coaldale is used for oil tank car storage. There is a looooong string of tank cars parked on it. Past Coaldale thru Lansford the track is not rehab'd and is a mess. The tracks end about .5 mile past the LNE station. They used to serve the Lansford breaker which closed in 1960 and went on cross Rt 209 and loop around to Summit Hill but the Summit Hill end was abandoned in 1953. There is really nothing left to serve past the LNE station unless some rail needing business opens in the LCN old shop building.

The hauto tunnel was due north of the LNE station.

If you look to the immediate left of my pics of the tracks (at the grade xing of the road that goes up the mountain) that's where the LCN corporate office building was. A huge, stone gothic haunted house looking structure. Was derelict by the mid-60s and burned down in 1975. The stones from the frame were used to make monuments around Lansford. Literally no trace of it now just an empty lot.
 #1411880  by pumpers

thanks for the news. Google maps must be pretty up to date - you can see the oil cars at amazingly high resolution - up to 1st St in Coaldale. Still a mile away from Lansford. And as of the date of the photos, they have room for quite a few more going back towards Arlington until they get near the turnout for the breaker.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8272087 ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JIm S
 #1411889  by carajul

The track is real bad past Coaldale. Washouts and thick vegitation. Behind the LNE station you can not even see the rails they are so burried in silt. Perhaps it's not safe to run on.
The building just east of the LNE station and road xing now used by Siberline was the LCNCo coal hopper repair shop. Large yard was next to the building and they repaired coal hoppers there.

Interesting that in Arlington Yard on the old hump track there is a customer or sorts that gets a tank car. I don't know what this can be since it's in the middle of no where. There are hoses that come out of the ground and plug into the tank car.

I was told that the RDG took over the CNJ's LNERwy operations in the mid-1970s in the area and the RDG closed Arlington Yard to save $ and moved all coal weighing and classification to Spring St Yard.

I recall back in the mid-1980s the track just past Broad St in Tamaqua was double track. On the left track was a string of CR coal hoppers that were parked there so long small trees were growing thru the middle of the cars. Then one day the hoppers were gone and the second track was ripped up.

You may not believe it when I tell you, but back in the day this line was TRIPPLE track thru Tamaqua all the way to Coaldale where it turned double track. Oh, and it was signaled. The 1969 arials show all the track and yards in place in Lansford, but it's all abandoned by this date.