Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1407871  by fromway

Being relatively new to the area, I am pleading ignorance before I ask this question. Has there been any talk of NBSR getting rights to use PARs right of way? A little "green" birdie mentioned it in passing when I spoke with them. But I wasn't sure if they already had them for some areas.
 #1407905  by KSmitty

There has been plenty of talk, mostly railfan induced, about Irving running (and/or purchasing) to Northern Maine or even Waterville. I remember hearing this talk as far back as 2011, and nothing has come of it yet. Nor will it in the short term either. The ST job sheet had MA-1/MA-2 on for next week. These will be ST crews reporting to Mattawamkeag to run PAR trains down the old Maine Central.
 #1409130  by KSmitty

WAMA/MAWA have replaced NMWA/WANM as of Sun. 11/13. Reports I've seen say the run is mostly nocturnal east of NMJ, with the exception of the eastbound which has been daylight from milepost 30ish to 'Keag. EB into 'Keag by 10:00. Train sizes look to be in the 30-40 car range, down 25-50% by my rough car counts from pre-CM&Q haualge deal. With the current crews there are 5 round trips/week. With EB's Sun-Fri and WB's Mon-Sat. Don't know if they cab everyone home or rest them in the Bangor area, but they are definitely using the 4 crews to run the service.

It also appears Irving has adjusted their schedule, as their jobs between Brownville and McAdam were routinely meeting in Bancroft of 'Kirby ('Keag) in the late afternoon, and have been meeting in the morning this week. Rumor hazit Irving was displeased with the transit times using an EMRY-CMQ-ST routing, and a schedule change would imply they are trying to cut transit times on the ST routing.
 #1409135  by CPF363

Is Irving still working on tie installation on the Keag to Bangor segment? Any speed limit upgrades or is the work predominately focused on getting the line passable? Will be interesting to see if the 85lb rail on the line is replaced sometime soon with heavier rail if the return to the Mattawamkeag interchange is permanent.
 #1409171  by KSmitty

I know they don't normally rest local crews. But I know in the past they used to hotel people at 'Keag.

It just seems stupid to be taxiing all 4 crews an hour each way every trip. Especially the MA-crews, because they have to call Dick's from Bangor to 'Keag to pick up the crew to haul them back west as far as the train made it east. At least the WA-3 crew is going off at the same time WA-4 is coming on, so in theory they only need 1 roundtrip cab WTVL-NMJ and back. When you figure in the hourly rates for the crew, plus the taxi bill, its hard to imagine its cheaper this way.
CPF363 wrote:Is Irving still working on tie installation on the Keag to Bangor segment? Any speed limit upgrades or is the work predominately focused on getting the line passable? Will be interesting to see if the 85lb rail on the line is replaced sometime soon with heavier rail if the return to the Mattawamkeag interchange is permanent.
Tie crew was in Bangor last I knew, that was a week ago. Surfacing started much later, still well behind, but I don't know where. No speed increases, and while the surfacing isnt done yet I doubt there will be many if any increases. The line was passable, but should now be reliable. Any major rail replacement would indeed indicate a long term dedication to the Mattawamkeag interchange. Whereas the current project would suggest they may be waiting until such a time that B&A is up for sale again, or another better alternate the current Mattawamkeag interchange exists.
 #1409206  by MEC407

Video by drc930:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lawdh05wD7A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that CWR in the last scene?
 #1409243  by gokeefe

Pretty sure it isn't. I know the tracks up in that area fairly well, in particular those right behind Hammond Lumber as pictured. I think it was an optical illusion of the low light conditions.
 #1409306  by Highball

KSmitty wrote: It also appears Irving has adjusted their schedule, as their jobs between Brownville and McAdam were routinely meeting in Bancroft of 'Kirby ('Keag) in the late afternoon, and have been meeting in the morning this week. Rumor hazit Irving was displeased with the transit times using an EMRY-CMQ-ST routing, and a schedule change would imply they are trying to cut transit times on the ST routing.
On Monday November 14th, NBSR Westbounds ( Trains 907 )began departing Saint John 3- 4 hours earlier than what was prior. In early October, I was viewing a YouTube Video by a Maine Railfan, of a Sunday CMQ Southbound from Brownville to NMJ. There was a 27 car block on the CMQ Train, that I recognized NBSR had brought into Brownville J'c't the Friday prior. So, that traffic sat for a day and a half at least, before getting forwarded to PanAm at NMJ. As KSmitty stated, I was also told by a NBSR employee awhile ago, that the company was not pleased with the traffic interchanges.
 #1409309  by MEC407

POWA from New Gloucester to Waterville by drc930:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbol5O_FP0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;