Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1405225  by MNCRR9000

With emphasis being out on stopping bumpers after the Hoboken accident what type does GCT have friction, hydraulic, etc?
I-Team: No Federal Rules on Safety Barriers in Train Terminals

By Chris Glorioso, Evan Stulberger, and Kristina Pavlovic

I-Team Exclusive: Could Better Barriers at Train Stations Save Lives?
The I-Team looked into whether better safety bumpers at the end of train lines could have impacted the deadly Hoboken train crash. Chris Glorioso reports. (Published Thursday, Oct 13, 2016)
When Anthony Prieto emerged from the wreckage of NJ Transit train 1614, he had a fresh black eye and a busted nose. But he still took notice of a peculiarity of Hoboken’s train terminal.
There isn’t much in the way of a barrier between the train tracks and people walking on the terminal concourse.
Lawmakers Ask Feds for $10M for NJ Transit Safety Measures
"As I was looking back at it, I asked myself a question. ‘Why wasn’t anything there to stop it?’" Prieto said, referring to the massive commuter train that had just barreled past the end of the tracks and into the terminal wall.
It turns out the Federal Railroad Administration, the agency that makes track safety rules, has no regulations requiring that barriers be in place to protect people walking behind the end-of-the-line train tracks.

NTSB Releases Preliminary Hoboken Crash Report
The National Transportation Safety Board released a preliminary report on the Hoboken train crash on Thursday, though it did not identify a cause for the deadly accident. (Published Thursday, Oct. 13, 2016)
In Hoboken, that leaves a thin metal fence and what are known as “bumping posts” as the last lines of defense against an out-of-control train.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigation ... FB_NYBrand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1405228  by DutchRailnut

GCT has regular freight type bumping blocks.

kind of stupid article, no structure mounted to rail or with a 10 foot by 10 foot footprint will stop a train , unless you want to squash a car in consist with people in it. yes there is energy absorbing bariers but they will take up more space than one rail car and still are only good for slow speed and certain length trains.
If anyone thinks you can stop a train with bumping block, their idiots, ever see boat hit concrete pier ??
 #1405242  by Tadman

Interestingly, after the CTA bumper-buster at O'Hare a few years ago (Chicago subway operator fell asleep in terminal trackage, failed to stop, train goes through bumper and up escalator steps) the CTA installed new heavy duty bumpers from Rawie in the center track, site of the incident. The two outer tracks retain their older bumpers. I'm curious as to why this is and will the new Rawie bumper do much more? Physics dictates that it wouldn't, perhaps this is just to please the lawyers and idiots at the Chicago trib, which is has the journalistic integrity of Weekly Reader these days.