Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#137430  by N.Y. State Of Mind

Fares:
Tri-Rail: Distance based, one way can range from $2.00, to $5.50
Metrorail: $1.25
Metromover: free

Operation:
Tri-Rail: Commuter rail
Metrorail: Elevated heavy rail
Metromover: People mover

#140373  by jtbell

Tri-Rail: trains of bi-level coaches hauled by diesel locomotives. Shares tracks with CSX freight trains. Fares vary with distance. Tickets are not sold on trains, you have to buy them from machines on station platforms. Occasionally an inspector boards the train and checks everyone's tickets; it's quite possible that your ticket will never be checked on any particular trip. Trains run once an hour on weekdays.

Metrorail: trains of self-propelled electric cars which get power from a third rail. Flat fare, paid when you enter your starting station at a turnstile. Basically a modern version of the "els" or subways in New York, Chicago, etc. although it's completely above ground, mostly on a concrete elevated structure. Trains run every 10-15 minutes.

Metromover: small automated driverless, rubber-tired cars that run on an elevated concrete guideway. I think I've seen only individual cars, no trains. A couple of years ago, fares were aboloshed so the Metromover is now free of charge. Cars run every few minutes.
 #140435  by Noel Weaver

jtbell wrote:Tri-Rail: trains of bi-level coaches hauled by diesel locomotives. Shares tracks with CSX freight trains. Fares vary with distance. Tickets are not sold on trains, you have to buy them from machines on station platforms. Occasionally an inspector boards the train and checks everyone's tickets; it's quite possible that your ticket will never be checked on any particular trip. Trains run once an hour on weekdays.

Metrorail: trains of self-propelled electric cars which get power from a third rail. Flat fare, paid when you enter your starting station at a turnstile. Basically a modern version of the "els" or subways in New York, Chicago, etc. although it's completely above ground, mostly on a concrete elevated structure. Trains run every 10-15 minutes.

Metromover: small automated driverless, rubber-tired cars that run on an elevated concrete guideway. I think I've seen only individual cars, no trains. A couple of years ago, fares were aboloshed so the Metromover is now free of charge. Cars run every few minutes.
Trains run by a printed timetable, not every hour especially in the middle
of the day. At present, weekdays there are no northbound trains out of
MIA between 10:19 AM and 2:19 PM and there are no southbound trains
out of Mangonia Park between 9:40 AM and 1:40 PM. This is a temporary
timetable until more work has been completed at which time things will
change again.
I do not recommend that you plan to ride Tri-Rail without checking the
timetable first, you may download a timetable from their web site.
One more thing, I do not recommend that you board a Tri-Rail train
without a valid ticket. They are armed guards and they DO check the
trains often, usually every trip at least once and sometimes more. The
penalty is quite steep if you are caught on the train without a ticket.
Every station has ample vending machines for tickets and the fares are
quite reasonable.

www.tri-rail.com

Noel Weaver