Railroad Forums 

• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1391805  by rscott417

Nice pictures. I think the only reason they venture down 1st ave is Sims, do they recieve that type of gondola?
 #1391836  by DogBert

Last I checked SIMS is the only customer up 1st ave. They get NS gons for metal recycling. A few possibilities for the CDEX car: sims testing it in place of the NS gons, or maybe they'll be used for plastics or glass assuming a buyer with rail access has come along.

Unless of course someone is loading c&d now somewhere along the line.

I wonder what ever happened to that plan to ferry over autoracks and unload them at the lot just south of SIMS...
 #1391841  by rr503

Axis group went bankrupt and the site has lain vacant ever since. The NYCEDC has an RFP out for it now. There was also a bit of a political kerfuffle over funding recently, which delayed the finding of a new tenant, but that has been sorted out.
 #1391862  by ccutler

Those gondolas don't look high enough for C&D loads. The photo of the gons behind the engine suggests they are just slightly-higher-than-normal height gondolas. I would bet they are loaded with scrap iron.
 #1391971  by rr503

Looks like PANYNJ is getting more money for NYNJ.
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... -fast-lane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rail service in four states will benefit from more than $66 million in grants that the U.S. Department of Transportation announced this week...The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will receive $10.7 million to improve its cross-harbor carfloat operation.
 #1392021  by rb

There are two types of gons in the pictures, NS and CDEX. CDEX = Costal Distributing, usually used for C&D.
 #1392152  by freightguy

From Progressive Rail,

• Cross Harbor freight program, $10,672,590. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will use the funds for intermodal rail improvements. The project includes two components: At the 65th Street Yard, extending the existing transloading dock and making other improvements; and at Port Jersey Division Second Track, double-tracking a portion of the Port Jersey Division of New York New Jersey Rail LLC
 #1392502  by jtunnel

As for the CDEX gondolas, I wonder if NYNJRR is storing cars again? There have been several cars stored at Bush Yard for some time now.

BTW, Davidson Pipe looks like the Brooklyn operations are gone/done. Demolition crews onsite of the property and it looks to be gutted inside.
 #1394658  by ccutler

My flight into LGA flew near the 65th street yard. I could see about 15 or so black gondolas in the old yard where the barges used to get loaded. Furthest north on the trackage, I could see four gondolas at the northwestern-most part of the track. I couldn't tell what was in them. Next to the four gondolas was a large building of the type commonly used to shelter piles of C&D, sand, scrap, whatever.
 #1396233  by ccutler

I saw the NYNJ rail barge approaching Brooklyn at 10:30 am today. I could make out a loaded centerbeam lumber car, two covered hoppers, a box car, and a tank car, from the north side of the barge using binoculars.
 #1396411  by Teutobergerwald

Passed by yesterday on way to the Belt Parkway, late yesterday afternoon. Two NYNJ locomotives present- one in yard itself, looked like an SW-1500. The other was in the fence enclosure near the team tracks. That looked like an MP-15ac. Did NYNJ get an MP-15ac for their roster? Thanks.