Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1381309  by train2

I understand Metro North still uses some F40s on the Port Jervis line. I see looking at the map there are two routes, one the Main and the other the Bergen line. When these run which route do they use?

How many are in service on a typical day? Do they typically run all day long or only at rush hour, etc? Are they in use most often on weekdays only or does any service on weekends see them as well?

If I remember this correctly the power at Hoboken is on the west end so these should lead to Port Jervis?

And what equipment is used on the line to Spring Valley NY? Do the F40 ever go there?

Does MN still operate those odd cowl body GP units? Or have they been retired?
 #1381327  by srock1028

train2 wrote:I understand Metro North still uses some F40s on the Port Jervis line. I see looking at the map there are two routes, one the Main and the other the Bergen line. When these run which route do they use?
Both
train2 wrote:How many are in service on a typical day?
There are 9 MN marked engines in service today.
train2 wrote:Do they typically run all day long or only at rush hour, etc?
Whenever they are needed
train2 wrote:Are they in use most often on weekdays only or does any service on weekends see them as well?
Used 7 days a week
train2 wrote:If I remember this correctly the power at Hoboken is on the west end so these should lead to Port Jervis?
Yes
train2 wrote:And what equipment is used on the line to Spring Valley NY?
Comet cars plus various engines
train2 wrote:Do the F40 ever go there?
Yes
train2 wrote:Does MN still operate those odd cowl body GP units?
No, NJT operates the odd cowl body MN marked units.
train2 wrote:Or have they been retired?
No
 #1381383  by train2

Thanks for your answers. Clarify one for me please: of the 9 engines you mentioned marked MN are those all F40s or is it 9 total engines painted MN and of them how many are F40s?
 #1381427  by srock1028

9 total yesterday: GP-40 = 3 (odd body ones you mentioned) and F40 = 6.
9 today today: GP-40 = 3 (odd body ones you mentioned), GP40PH-2M =1 and F40 = 5.
 #1382520  by Gladstone Branch

train2 wrote:I understand Metro North still uses some F40s on the Port Jervis line. I see looking at the map there are two routes, one the Main and the other the Bergen line. When these run which route do they use?
They're not just on the main/bergen lines. 0871(29) is running with a F40 this morning on the Morristown.
 #1382580  by F-line to Dudley via Park

train2 wrote:Thanks for your answers. Clarify one for me please: of the 9 engines you mentioned marked MN are those all F40s or is it 9 total engines painted MN and of them how many are F40s?
MNRR-owned/painted locos are 8 F40's, newly rebuilt to F40PH-3C spec from their former F40PH-2CAT spec. Plus 6 GP40FH-2M's and 1 GP40PH-2A.

The F40PH-3C's and GP40FH-2M's only exist as MNRR units; NJ Transit has retired all of theirs and last year re-sold most of the ones they still had in storage. NJT has 5 GP40PH-2A's of their own...as well as a bunch of very similar GP40PH-2's and GP40PH-2B's. Any of those NJT-paint units could at any time make appearances on the Port Jerv.
 #1383016  by Tadman

From what I understand, NJT tries to keep the MN-painted engines/cars on the MN-owned lines but in a pinch MN-painted WOH equipment can stray to the far corners of the NJT system.