Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1379978  by roysmith

I was on the 6:20 out of Grand Central to Harison today. At New Rochelle, they announced that the front three cars would not open (which is usual; they're beyond the platform), but also that the rear two cars would not open. The cars are in the station, they just didn't open the doors, and made people walk forward to the third-from-the-rear car to get out. Any idea what was up with that?
 #1379980  by DutchRailnut

the platform on track 4 has big curve at west end and is not usable with west end M series cars. doors are nearly a foot or more from platform edge
 #1383236  by Terrapin Station

roysmith wrote:I was on the 6:20 out of Grand Central to Harison today. At New Rochelle, they announced that the front three cars would not open (which is usual; they're beyond the platform), but also that the rear two cars would not open. The cars are in the station, they just didn't open the doors, and made people walk forward to the third-from-the-rear car to get out. Any idea what was up with that?
Yes, this appears to be a recent change. I don't know what prompted the change, but before a month or so ago, I don't recall riding so many eastbound trains that failed to open cars at both the front and rear of the train at NRO. Usually it was just one or the other but not both.