Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1377728  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Townshipfarmer wrote:Are the tracks between Whitfield and Littleton still in service? Is this ROW owned by the state?
State-owned, and now landbanked at the Bethlehem town line for an impending trail. Abandonment filings by NHCR and NHDOT were second-half 2015, so it's very recent change of operating status. Whitefield retains active status so NHCR has the option to store cars between the Route 116 and Parker Rd. crossings like it does on the unused active track north of N. Stratford. But the abandonment was drawn up that way more because Whitefield is still years away from being ready to fund its trail portion, rather than car storage space being any cause near-and-dear to NHCR's heart. As long as Whitefield's a non-participant in the upcoming trail construction, makes more tactical sense for NHDOT to keep the line paper-active so the abutters around Burns Pond don't start encroaching.
 #1378152  by NHV 669

just a lack of traffic. The rails end just past Industrial park rd., which I pass over every day to and from work. If I'm not mistaken, 669 handled duties running 1-2/3 car trains out to a transload in an empty lot off Deer Ct./Riverside drive until roughly 1997. Other than that there isn't really anything business-wise that could be served. There are a couple of propane/NG? storage parcels along the tracks between 302 and the Wing Rd. area, but nothing that can use/need rail. I don't think the rails saw work until the obvious brush-cutting that took place within the last year.
 #1378185  by highrail

As I was coming into Groveton today I spotted the NHC hi-rail inspection truck heading south toward Hazens. Sure enough, checking the yard at Groveton, the 7324 was positioned for a move toward Hazen. The engine was idling, but no crew present. They had one box car, which suggests that they might be heading to pick up some of the tankers at Hazens. I know that they had not already made the move as the crossings in Lancaster had not been touched...the dirt filled the flangeways. I came back a couple hours later after riding up to the North Stratford area, and the engine had not yet moved. I waited until about 3 pm, but no sign of any activity. Not sure if they made the move today or not. Anyone catch it? The 2 tracks beyond the crossing at Hazens are full of tankers, extending almost all the way into Whitefield.

Up in North Stratford, a couple tanks in the yard. I rode north to the end of the active track and did not see any cars stored. Did they have any stored north of the yard this year?

I was pleased to find that the old turntable south of the yard is still there...buried in the brush, but basically intact!

Steve
 #1378187  by NHV 669

Steve,

I went up to the Lyman Falls Dam area this past September, and the only cars stored north of the shop were a short string of tanks that didn't extend within sight of the Lyman Falls crossing. I had heard that the 52 was still in the area, went up on Sunday, and only the green spacer boxcar was there. I neglected to drive up to Stratford, where it apparently spent the early part of the week waiting for pickup by SLR. This would necessitate 7324 coming south, good to hear the rails will get de-rusted again.
 #1378290  by NHV 669

Drove the line from Hazens to Groveton this afternoon. 7234 is coupled to the green boxcar and idling just south of the station at one of the old mill crossings in Groveton. I would expect a move this week to pick up some of the tanks in storage.
 #1378327  by highrail

Glad I did not wait any longer :) Ah, the hours I have waited for trains...haven't we all! Just maybe I can catch it someday near Whitefield. In all my years chasing trains I have never seen one at the crossover in Whitefield.

NHV669: Thanks for checking out the line!

Steve
 #1378347  by bm1838

If both mainlines from Diamond Junction in Whitefield, to Hazens are full perhaps they plan on utilizing the two sidings in Lancaster again. I noted this winter both of the tracks were empty. I don't think there are any other "OPEN" sidings other than them.

Cory F.
 #1378652  by bigfreight

NHCR 7324 returned north with 1 boxcar and 25 tank cars headed to Groveton . Looks like with oil going up the Baaken Crude tank cars that are stored on NHCR are going back in service. They were supposed to be stored for at 12 months + but, I guess things have changed.