Railroad Forums 

• NS derailment at Ripley, NY 3/1/16

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1373487  by charlie6017

WGRZ reports a train that derailed 14 cars (including ethanol) approximately 9:45 PM EST last night. WGRZ
reports it's a Norfolk Southern train, although I'm skeptical about that. The map shown with their story appears to
be the northernmost ROW, which would belong to CSX. Keep in mind they say "both conductors were uninjured".

At any rate, it looks rather messy! :P

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/southern ... y/63993398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by charlie6017 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1373513  by tree68

The Time Warner video gives some clues. It looks like much of it was shot from the South State Street crossing. It appears the CSX line is in the foreground in the initial shots.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/jamestown/ne ... ipley.html

N 42 15' 54" W 79 42' 33"
 #1373594  by Matt Langworthy

The area around the derailment was evacuated for a time, so Amtrak #49 went to Niagara Falls, picked up passengers that were bused in from Cleveland and then went east as #48.
 #1373597  by SST

As of Noon today, people were still not allowed to return to their homes. I assume this was because of the tank car full of propane. So, wouldn't it seem likely that they would stop a passenger train for the same reason that nobody was allowed to return home?
 #1373632  by Matt Langworthy

Agreed, SST.

Residents were allowed to return to home last night. CSX reopened at least one track yesterday afternoon. NS 205 and 27R were detoured via CSX. Other NS trains, including 23K, were detoured via a D&H/Pittsburgh Line/Cleveland Line route.
 #1373672  by sd80mac

Matt Langworthy wrote: Amtrak #49 went to Niagara Falls, picked up passengers that were bused in from Cleveland and then went east as #48.

any reason why 49 went to Niagara Falls instead of turn around in Frontier Yard. Didnt someone said that 48, which became 49 also waited for passengers from original 48 in Cleveland to hop on? or the buses were for 49 passengers only?
 #1373675  by Matt Langworthy

My FB source didn't say why Amtrak #49 went to Niagara Falls. Perhaps it went there because Amtrak has a small service facility for locomotives and can turn them if necessary.

P.S. The same source referenced passengers coming from Cleveland to Niagara Falls by bus. He made no mention of passengers traveling by bus from the Falls to Cleveland, although I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.
 #1373766  by Train Detainer

Amtrak does have servicing available at NiaFalls, and all terminating Amtrak trains to the Falls turn on the Tuscarora Wye (CP-21/CP-69/CP-22), usually on the way in. Generally speaking, passenger trains are no longer allowed through Frontier due to liability issues although years ago we did it when absolutely necessary, usually with a yard pilot on board. It was a PIA move as all switches had to be lined in advance and most everything stopped on the south side, tying up the yard for a good half hour, at least. Nowadays the tracks would have to be inspected first, all switches spiked, and definitely a pilot on board at a minimum.

I once turned 49 in a similar circumstance via the Belt Line instead of NiaFalls due to RRailers on the rear end (can't back up). Busing passengers to Depew instead of NiaFalls is normal operation for this too - no sense in driving all the way up there when the dispatcher can hold the train at Exchange Street (off the mainline) until the buses are close to Depew. Been there, done that.