Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1374226  by electric heat

The first part of today's circus train move is the flats and stock cars from LIC to Garden. They will be leaving Harold around 1-1:30 pm and switching the train out on the Garden Mitchell. There is another crew called for 7pm to take the whole drag back west after the rush hour...
 #1374263  by REM3Night

The train reached Garden City station around 1:40 with 3 locos and followed by 2 protect
Ray
 #1374456  by 452 Card

Its unfortunate for you that you hate engineers so much. I pity your ignorance.
 #1375070  by Backshophoss

Was it just the equipment flat cars or the whole train laid up at LIC yard?
 #1375086  by REM3Night

The circus performed at Barclay Center. As mentioned, the Nassau Coliseum is closed for renovation. The passenger cars were stored on the Garden City secondary track and the performers commuted from there.
The flats and animal cars were stored in LIC and were brought to Garden City and combined with the rest of the train. It departed around 8:30 PM and headed to New Jersey for their next performance. Likely, it was easier to assemble the train there, do the brake checks, etc. and hold it there until it the end of rush hour.
Ray
 #1375308  by nyandw

Folks: I've read many of the topics over the years involving the circus train arrival/departure, the movements along with some of the sidebar action and stories.

I'd like to photo document a brief history, description, and stories behind this yearly ritual. How does it arrive, moved, in what way, etc. A classic who, what, where, when and why?

Here's an example of part of the 3/10 move at Woodhaven

I'm soliciting those that want to create this webpage with photos, maps, insights, anecdotes, paperwork, etc. Please advise. Thank you. PM or EM, also as needed.