Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1371190  by southern sec. kid

I went on a little drive earlier today and couldn't seem to find where this Tank went too. I took a look from Collingwood all the way to cross St. Mabye NWS Earle had the tanker delivered?
 #1371267  by NJRAILNUT

southern sec. kid wrote:I went on a little drive earlier today and couldn't seem to find where this Tank went too. I took a look from Collingwood all the way to cross St. Mabye NWS Earle had the tanker delivered?
A good old-fashioned Southern Secondary mystery. Haven't had one of those in awhile. Earle would be the most likely destination, can anyone here confirm?

Also, does anybody know the approx. frequency that ANY railcars are interchanged with Earle on the Southern Secondary? Doesn't seem to happen that often.
 #1371285  by R&DB

There are three possible destinations for a tank going south from ESSAY:
1- NJT yard at Red Bank for fuel or liquid waste
2- Earle for fuel or liquid waste
3- Woodhaven for fuel for their trucks

Highest probabilities are Earle and Red Bank in that order. Woodhaven has room for 16 cars, no room for a tank and Donny did not see one there.

Does anyone have photos?
Last edited by R&DB on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1371320  by NJT4149

The one week I didn't go out... Oh well... Intriguing to say the least, my guess is that the tank car went to Earle. I'll try my best to confirm
 #1371565  by NJRAILNUT

NYSW2300 wrote:
rr503 wrote:Tank????
Where did that go?
Brick Recycling
Really? Do you have any knowledge as to why they needed a tanker? Not what I was expecting to hear if it's true...
 #1371613  by RailsEast

Honestly, Brick Recycling was the first customer I thought of; buy a bad-order car cheap, bring it in, cut it up and sell the scrap to someone for a profit. But...if SSKid didn't see it the other day, and I didn't see it today, then it probably went to Earle. To be fair, I don't know how long it would take for a small scrap dealer to cut up a railcar, but I would think a few days at least.
Chris
 #1371624  by NJT4149

Any word on today's train? Haven't heard anything on my scanner...
Never mind, permission to open Church at 4:00 PM... Late today
 #1371627  by RailsEast

I believe the crew has an NJT-imposed window of opportunity to get onto the Coast Line, although I do not know the cut-off time (4? 4:30?).
And.....there we go, permission to open up at 3:59 today.......
 #1371631  by RailsEast

Hmm, SA31 has a car labeled 'dangerous' in the consist today....another tank car perhaps ?
 #1371640  by gravelyfan

RailsEast wrote:Hmm, SA31 has a car labeled 'dangerous' in the consist today....another tank car perhaps ?
4:10 pm onto Track 2 at South Amboy 4405-4406, 14 cars including one tank and one gon.
 #1371647  by RailsEast

CSX 4405, CSX 4406 + 14; 1 empty gon twelve cars back, 1 loaded tank car 13 cars back and I presume the rest for Woodhaven.