Railroad Forums 

• Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1369914  by ExCon90

At one time the Swiss Federal Railways issued a hardback edition of their signal rules specifically for sale to the general public, complete with an introduction explaining the system in general, including how track circuits work. More recently, a new system of signal aspects introduced in 1990 was explained in detail, with diagrams, in their on-board magazine (imagine Amtrak devoting 3 or 4 pages of Arrive to a discussion of NORAC signal rules--or passengers reading it.)
 #1370888  by RDG467

chuchubob wrote:
RDG467 wrote:
JoeBas wrote:But... but but... scawwy evildoors!!!!
What's an 'evildoor'? A revolving door that won't let you out??? :-)
Obviously, it's somebody who doos evil. Duh!
Like those folks who like to launch rocks and such at the trains in N. Phila??
 #1370922  by Backshophoss

At a time in the past,there was a need for "Getto Grates" on the E60's and F40ph's on the NEC,now there's the
current FRA approved glass.
Evildoers,still consider it "sport" to throw any form of urban debris at trains.
The "Ammo" is what is avaible to use,from rocks and bricks,to shopping carts and car parts.
1 report in the docket index,stated there was no bullet remains found on any of the tested glass off 601 and
the Acela set.
Last edited by Backshophoss on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1384948  by Gilbert B Norman

NBC Nightly News was short on the specifics, but they reported tonight that an announcement from the NTSB is forthcoming.

They did not report the nature of such, but it has been one year since the incident and such would be the window for release of the Final Report.

Stay tuned.
 #1384955  by Silverliner II

As per what I heard on NJ 101.5 an hour ago, the NTSB is calling the cause "a loss of situational awareness on the part of the Amtrak engineer due to radio chatter related to the objects that struck the SEPTA train." The report stated that he heard the chatter involving the SEPTA train and got on radio himself just to let them know he was about to pass alongside. The report also called for more training stressing the importance of keeping situational awareness.
 #1384957  by GirlOnTheTrain

As a pre-emptive warning:
As per usual when incidents such as 188 transpire...when the NTSB findings are released, you are all reminded to be on your best behavior. Flaming, trolling, etc. will not be tolerated, and admins will hand out suspensions at their discretion. Act like the civilized adults the vast majority of members are, and there shall be no problems.

Signed,
All the mods and admins who don't want to become babysitters tomorrow ;)

Addendum: Beginning 8am 5/17/16 until 8am 5/19/16, the dreaded 48 hour rule will be invoked...any poo-poo pot stirring will earn you a month-long time out. This is subject to extension by the self-proclaimed CEO and other upper management around these parts. (Jeff Smith Rules and all that jazz.)
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Accio 48 hour rule...
 #1384971  by Jeff Smith

What they said. Thanks. I know I can count on all of you to maintain some decorum. This is a tough situation involving an employee who I know to be a friend of some if not many on this board. As I've stated on here before in regards to any incidents such as derailments, crossing or trespasser accidents, stuff happens, people sometimes make mistakes without any bad intentions (not counting the Darwin candidates who do things like drive around lowered crossing gates or take selfies on trestles, et al, but I digress). And note: I'm NOT saying that's the case here. We'll all read the report tomorrow. Let's not rush to attack, commend, or condemn (see: Spuyten Duyvil accident on MNRR). This is going to develop over the next few days.

Let's discuss the report, and not attack anyone, just discuss what's presented in the report. Personal attacks will be summarily deleted without edit or notice. If you feel there's something inappropriate, please use the report function, and don't respond and thus extend the thread.

Finally, this type of topic naturally arouses emotions for many; as ACe notes, there were fatalities. Be sensitive to that. We're followed as a source for media, and by Amtrak. Let's not turn into the online comments section for the local newspaper.
 #1384981  by Cosmo

*CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP-CLAP...*
And let's try to leave politics out of it as well. this is a VERY politically charged climate and things like this tend to lend themselves to the camp-mentality of the climate.