Railroad Forums 

• History of the M&E

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1368564  by carajul

Based on the condition of the M&E track and the dismal # of customers, I'd say the M&E is going to be 'history' soon lol.
 #1368569  by ccutler

Carajul, don't bet on it. Garbely's probably an excellent marketer and volumes appear to be growing. NS wants to shed 1000 miles and I hope ME gets the Washington Secondary.
 #1368642  by therudycometh

carajul wrote:Based on the condition of the M&E track and the dismal # of customers, I'd say the M&E is going to be 'history' soon lol.
I'm fairly sure we're here to stay. In the past three years that I've been flying the flags of the marketing department, car numbers have been increasing on all four branch lines (and in Bayway), we've gotten two new online customers, and we've built a new transload facility. The M&E's track condition has really never been stellar (just look at some old pictures), but then again, we're not running an Acela, and what we have serves our purposes just fine. We're one of the very few railroads left in the metropolis of New York that can truly offer personalized, individualized customer service, and this is a trait that many other companies respect and prefer. While it may be somewhat old-fashioned to talk to me in Morristown instead of a nameless, faceless customer service representative in Atlanta or Jacksonville, it's a business model that is serving us well, and will continue to do so.
ccutler wrote:Carajul, don't bet on it. Garbely's probably an excellent marketer and volumes appear to be growing. NS wants to shed 1000 miles and I hope ME gets the Washington Secondary.
Thanks for the kind words! And remember the saying: "a Class I's trash is a short line's treasure."
 #1369820  by carajul

Therudycometh - try to get Morristown Lumber back to shipping. Their spur has been a weed covered mess for 30 years, but it's still connected to the main.

And here is another one for ya... rebuild the E&N branch from the LNE connection down to serve the Pfizer plant in Wilson, PA. You just have to get around the building Northampton Farm Bureau built on the row. Heck they were once a customer themselves.

And while were are at it...get the Millstone Branch in Franklin Twp back up and running :-) Hermann Warehouse is still there at the end.

You short lines seem to do very well with what the class 1s try to get rid of!
 #1369836  by SemperFidelis

While we're all daydreaming...

Don't forget to get the Totowa Industrial track (not too far fetched).

And then blow the dust off the old plans to rebuild the Mount Hope Mineral up to Mount Hope Tilcon Quarry (pretty far fetched).

And, finally, rebuild the Wharton and Northern and then convince the Army to start using rail again (totally far fetched).

Get Morris County to use the old Hercules site for heavy industry (insanely far fetched).

Best of luck to the M&E, though. I don't think anyone wishes them ill will.