Railroad Forums 

• Subway Delay Reports and Discussion (2011-2017)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1360479  by Type 7 3684

Severe delays on Red Line due to a medical emergency at Broadway.
Edit: Listening to a scanner, someone is under a train. Power off.
Edit 2: Shuttles from Park to JFK.
 #1360631  by Type 7 3684

Shuttle buses replacing Red Line service between JFK/Umass and Harvard due to a medical emergency at Downtown Crossing.
This is basically a repeat of yesterday! Once again, somebody is under a train!
 #1360648  by deathtopumpkins

Type 7 3684 wrote:Shuttle buses replacing Red Line service between JFK/Umass and Harvard due to a medical emergency at Downtown Crossing.
This is basically a repeat of yesterday! Once again, somebody is under a train!
Orange line is bypassing DTX as well.
 #1360702  by typesix

Type 7 3684 wrote:Severe delays on Red Line due to a medical emergency at Broadway.
From the MBTA police radio frequency?
 #1360717  by Type 7 3684

typesix wrote:
Type 7 3684 wrote:Severe delays on Red Line due to a medical emergency at Broadway.
From the MBTA police radio frequency?
Boston Police, fire, and EMS. It was an online frequency, so it technically wasn't a scanner
 #1360720  by Type 7 3684

chrisf wrote:
Type 7 3684 wrote:I got some more info. The person's injuries were not life-threatening. 2 firefighters were injured as a result of a malfunctioning 3rd rail tester.
The transit police confirmed that tonight's incident was indeed a fatality.
http://www.tpdnews411.com/2015/12/tresp ... ality.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, the firefighters had the non life-threatening injuries. I misread what I saw
 #1360722  by Arlington

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:I think this is the season for suicides, unfortunately.
US CDC says: The idea that suicides occur more frequently during the holiday season is a long perpetuated myth" See also Wiki & Snopes

By all means, look for warning signs and get people help, but do that all year.

I suppose it is possible that despite the "global" downtick in suicides this time of year, some "local" suicide-by-subway-in-Boston increases this time of year, as for example, depressed people spend more of their day indoors in the subway, instead of being outside. It may just be that we change how we observe delays this time of year (commutes adding shopping stops, cyclists/pedestrians coming back to the T for the winter, etc.) or how the media reports suicides now because it "fits the narrative" (that's false, actually).
 #1360735  by srepetsk

Not sure of the original source, but apparently there was a runaway train this morning: https://twitter.com/GarrettQuinn/status ... 9255003136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This morning, MBTA officials reported a serious incident on the Red Line south of Boston. At approximately 6:08 AM, an inbound Red Line train departed Braintree Station, without an operator.
Edit: WCVB says the op left the train to check something and was subsequently hit. http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;