Railroad Forums 

• Merrimack River Bridge in Haverhill

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1349849  by eustis22

1/3 of the bridge refinish work seems to be completed closest to Bradford. They are now working the middle of the bridge and may be close to completion. No track laying yet of the 1/3 on the Haverhill side.
 #1354656  by swist

The side under construction has a huge tarp over the bridge superstructure so it's hard to see what's going on but I suspect they are sandblasting or otherwise doing something to the bridge superstructure - it's not laying track. The job is spending a lot of time on this phase, as it has not moved in weeks. But there is clearly a lot of activity in there, as there are plenty of workers around.
 #1354689  by eustis22

from the looks of things when the shrouds were dropped in addition to redoing the binding plates (a friend passed on bidding for the job) they are sandblasting and painting the superstructure. The tracks get relaid when they move the sand machine but I do not know if the tracks are train-ready.
 #1354908  by Watchman318

swist wrote:The side under construction has a huge tarp over the bridge superstructure so it's hard to see what's going on but I suspect they are sandblasting or otherwise doing something to the bridge superstructure - it's not laying track.
Are there "containment" structures under the bridge? I don't know if it's required when they're coating it, but paint removal (at least when over a river) requires some pretty strict containment, especially for anything that has/had lead paint on it.
Dust collectors are probably another sign of media blasting going on.

This was a pretty complex project, on a railroad lift bridge: http://www.odysseycontracting.com/index_files/bath.htm
 #1355507  by Watchman318

I can't say for sure, but I think that probably indicates paint removal in progress (or soon). I've seen bridge timber replacements done with no containment needed, but paint chips, etc., in the water would be frowned upon.
 #1355886  by swist

Sandblaster equipment moved. Shroud still on superstructure, but now another shroud between the superstructure and the Haverhill end.
 #1355894  by eustis22

Well it's only taken 2 years to do the inbound side. Maybe my long nightmare of 5mph from Lawrence to Bradford and thence to a very slow bus is almost over. I do wonder how they will allow the Downeaster to pass 213 when it's on the outbound track, though. Use the inbound as a passing track?
 #1355911  by Rockingham Racer

You can't really use the terms "inbound" and "outbound" anymore, since trains can now run on either track in both directions. Same thing for the Fitchburg Line with its recent upgrades.
Reading, though, is not signaled for bi-directional movements, so I suppose "inbound" and "outbound" terminology is still in vogue there.
 #1356738  by jbvb

The MBTA's crock-of-s***t operation of trains turning at Bradford was discussed earlier in this thread. Short form: no money/brains/attention for a temporary fix to the signals, so the rail-to-rail short required at the Bradford barricade by FRA rules drops all the signals on that track to Stop back to Frost interlocking in Lawrence. They had originally planned to issue train orders so trains didn't have to stop & proceed at each one, but the FRA forbade that. And My Broke(n) Transit Authority left it at that. Perhaps they'll handle the easterly track closure better, but I'm not holding my breath.
 #1380620  by swist

So I'm frequently on a Downeaster on the left hand track as you go from Bradford to Lawrence (same track used outbound). And I know we pass MBTA trains periodically (but not constantly) on the other track. So you're saying that these MBTA trains have to stop at all the signals and get some sort override permission? Wow, that really is silly.

I will have to say though, when the 681/682 DE trains are on time (which is most of the time these days), they pass each other just South of Frost and neither stops, so at least in that situation the signalling discussed here doesn't affect it. I can't speak to the MBTA.
 #1380621  by swist

Also back on the topic of the bridge, the amount of workers, equipment, and materials keeps steadily going up. It's pretty active out there now.
 #1395173  by sery2831

Looks like the current phase is winding down and preparations for the switch to the next phase will be happening soon.