Railroad Forums 

• Riding in diner between meals

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1353927  by Matt Johnson

DutchRailnut wrote:no
One disappointment on the Cardinal was that even in the lounge side of the lone Amfleet II diner/lounge, they would close the car and not allow anyone to sit at the tables during daylight hours through some of the scenic stretches in West Virginia.
 #1353930  by DutchRailnut

all has to do with US health inspection, no one wants someone to use tables to change baby diaper or other such activity.
the car attendants, between meals are pretty busy with cleaning, setting up for next meal etc.
 #1354305  by jobtraklite

Matt Johnson wrote: One disappointment on the Cardinal was that even in the lounge side of the lone Amfleet II diner/lounge, they would close the car and not allow anyone to sit at the tables during daylight hours through some of the scenic stretches in West Virginia.
This sounds like one of those rogue operations you encounter every once in a while. The last time I ran into one, I received a $175 transportation certificate for my trouble.
 #1354456  by jp1822

jobtraklite wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote: One disappointment on the Cardinal was that even in the lounge side of the lone Amfleet II diner/lounge, they would close the car and not allow anyone to sit at the tables during daylight hours through some of the scenic stretches in West Virginia.
This sounds like one of those rogue operations you encounter every once in a while. The last time I ran into one, I received a $175 transportation certificate for my trouble.
There's no reason why the tables can't be used in between meals - especially the Cardinal. The new Viewliner Diners (or at least the prototype) is designed for "viewing" the scenery on single level trains. Sorry but either better rules are put in place and enforced (I know - easier said than done, but it can be done), and you wipe down AFTER completing a meal and BEFORE starting a new one. That should standard health code practice anyway, as you never know what people passing buy have touched and then touch a table etc. So I think it is a double edge sword........
 #1354701  by Tadman

Worth noting that, due to the seating rotation in the diner, it's not all that empty.