Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1350203  by Matt Langworthy

I was discussing this subject (the Geneva-Lyons segment) with a RR professional about a month ago, and he brought a really good point: while Conrail used to sell off branchlines and clusters, NS tends to lease them to shortlines. It should be noted that this guy doesn't work for FGLK but we both wonder if lease vs sale is a sticking point in the negotiations.
 #1353092  by johnpbarlow

400-600 rail-hauled containers of NYC trash daily may be coming to Seneca Meadows landfill near Waterloo abutting FGLK track although no siding exists there (and permit to build one had been previously denied).

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news ... /74014338/

The article also says "...High Acres in Perinton and Macedon, Wayne County, in June became the first landfill in the state to accept regular shipments of trash via rail..." Looks like per Google Maps aerial view, rail carloads are being handled by CSX at High Acres.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Maced ... 31672a485e
 #1354759  by BR&P

FGLK sure has made a difference in preserving rail service to the area. If simply left to CR and successors, without FGLK or other shortline involvement there would be little or nothing in Geneva by now.

Smitty, you have a wealth of photos in that collection! :-D
 #1363014  by charlie6017

This morning, I uploaded some video I shot back in 2004 of the Himrod to Penn Yan turn job, mixed with a
small bit of switching at Pre-Emption Rd. in Geneva at the end. It was a very warm muggy day as I recall, but
a lot of fun to shoot. Enjoy! :-D

Charlie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTq71kHIWvI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1363116  by lvrr325

CPSmith wrote:Things were a little different in 1975:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/archivethu ... ?id=112617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who was the LV delivering Kaolin (?) to in that first pic with SOU 26961? I actually found a second pic of the same car at Rochester Jct. so it was a regular thing.
 #1363134  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote: Who was the LV delivering Kaolin (?) to in that first pic with SOU 26961? I actually found a second pic of the same car at Rochester Jct. so it was a regular thing.
My guess would be the Joslyn (sp?) insulator plant at Lima. Altho one would expect a Lima car to move in a road train to Manchester and then go west, and not be in a local at Geneva.

EDIT: it's possible the car was routed through Pot Yard, came up the NYC or PC to Geneva, and was interchanged there to the LV. That could explain why it was in Geneva AND Rochester Junction at various times.
 #1363249  by lvrr325

Without turning this into an LV thread, be interesting to research how that was routed. Short of going through stacks of old waybills I don't know what to look for, though, I have yet to see where the LV used any lists for trains showing cars by reporting marks and number (Train Data Sheet, in Conrail parlance)...
 #1363259  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:Without turning this into an LV thread, be interesting to research how that was routed. Short of going through stacks of old waybills I don't know what to look for, though, I have yet to see where the LV used any lists for trains showing cars by reporting marks and number (Train Data Sheet, in Conrail parlance)...
I don't know how LV did things, but generally speaking things back then were almost the opposite of today. The conductor would hand-write a list of his train and turn it in to the clerks on arrival at the terminal. On a through train the conductor was usually handed a stack of waybills, but he would write up a list while riding along and present it at the yard. Back then, the waybill - the exact piece of paper that was prepared when a car started out - was carried along on each train until it arrived at the final destination terminal.

Today the conductor is handed a list of his train before he even gets on the engine, and any pickups and setoffs in route are recorded with a few pokes at a screen somewhere.
 #1363548  by lvrr325

I just sold a few NYO&W "Memorandum of Cars" sheets which were hand-written, but were just that, a list with train symbol of what cars were in the train. The LV train data sheets I have if anything give blocks with the number of cars and destination. No other details.