Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Ocala Mike

Great pictures of the nearest thing to "mountain railroading" on Long Island!
  by alchemist

Kbkat -- you could make the exam even more challenging by throwing in arch-roof vs. clerestory-roof. Oi! :P
  by MattAmity90

RGlueck wrote:Matt, you're telling me Cold Spring Hill is now double-tracked? See what happens when you're away for 45 years?
I'll be darned!
I know you're just kidding around, I know everyone that posts here knows what I said. It was in case someone asked. Also it's still mountain railroading.
  by RGlueck

by SwingMan

Looks like Oyster Bay, Steve.
  by RGlueck

Oyster Bay is correct.
  by keyboardkat

nyandw wrote:
keyboardkat wrote:2402 was one of four 2400hp F-M C-liners purchased with Bankruptcy Court permission by the LIRR. The other eight C-liners had the 10-cylinder 2000hp engine. ...
Thanks for the info!

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrCl ... liners.htm
#2402 in its Goodfellow repaint Starting in 1955 with the arrival of the new Alco RS-3 diesels to replace the last of the steam locomotives, the “Goodfellow colors” (as they are often referred to) came into use. These colors were a smoke gray body and orange ends and pilots. This scheme was applied to all diesels as they went into the shop for maintenance and repainting, and was completed by 1959 when the Dashing Dan herald started appearing. The first timetable to have Dan was in September 1959, although he was introduced in the April 1957 Long Island Railroader.

Fairbanks-Morse CPA-24-5
Numbers Built Serial Heritage Class
2401-2404 10-1951 24L497-24L500 New FP-24SC
(F=Fairbanks Morse, P= Passenger, 24=2400HP, S= Steam Generator, C= Speed Control)
All had 5 axles. A-A, A-1-A configuration 3 chime Nathan-Air chime M3R1 mounted on top of cab.

Fairbanks-Morse CPA-20-5
Numbers Built Serial Heritage Class
2001-2008 6/8-1950 21L331-21L338 New FP-20SC
(F=Fairbanks Morse, P= Passenger, 20=2000HP, S= Steam Generator, C= Speed Control)
All had 5 axles. A-A, A-1-A configuration 3 chime Nathan-Air chime M3R1 on top of cab.
You mean B-A1A configuration. That means the front truck had two powered axles, and the rear truck also had two powered axles with the center axle unpowered. A-A would mean two unpowered axles.
  by keyboardkat

hotbike wrote:Yes, but Fairbanks Morse continued to produce it's opposed piston engine for the Navy, on account of the "silent running" , which was the thing to have in a Diesel Submarine.
Today the company is called Fairbanks-Morse diesel, and they build OP engines, including turbo-charged models, for marine and stationary power applications. They also build the Alco-designed model 251 engine, for similar applications. F-M had been working on turbocharging the OP engine at the time it quit the locomotive business.
  by Crabman1130

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Crabman1130 wrote:
RGlueck wrote:The M1 train is the first run of a revenue MU passenger train on the PJ branch.
When was the PJ branch electrified?
East of Mineola (Huntington), 1970.
Thank you. In 1971 I lived in Queens and had a job in Levittown. I would take the train to Hicksville. It was my fist time as a commuter on the LIRR. I didn't realize that the line was newly electrified. I remember hoping to get an air conditioned train instead of the "old ones". Now I wish I could ride on an old open window train again.
  by MACTRAXX

RGlueck wrote:Image

RG: Good group of LIRR pictures - I figured correctly that the first three were of the Oyster Bay yard...
The fourth one was one of if not the only double deck car in MTA paint am I right?
The fifth picture looks east at the Route 25 overpass in Smithtown and those three RS1s look like they
were leading a freight train...

MACTRAXX
  by RGlueck

The three RS1's were in Huntington at the time, waiting for the passenger train to pass. They were hauling hoppers of coal and sand all day. We followed it and got some good shots, especially at the state hospital, and Setauket gravel pit.
Regarding the Dbl Decker, I think it was the only one which was "modernized". What a waste of paint!
  by RGlueck