Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1337836  by jhdeasy

Via Rail Canada recently informed the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners (AAPRCO) that they would no longer haul private cars on their regularly scheduled passenger trains. The reason given during a meeting at the MMC was a CN policy that pertains to maximum authorized speeds and cant deficiency. We know that most of Via's route mileage is on CN.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail ... -car-moves

This does not make sense to those of us who are AAPRCO member private car owners, especially those of us (like me) who have operated our cars on Via's trains at times within the past 15 years.

Our cars are certified by Amtrak for 110 MPH maximum authorized speed. Does Via operate at 110 MPH on some of its eastern corridor routes? I do know they operate the tilting LRC cars, but do they have any tilting locomotives in service today? I think not.

I find it hard to believe that there is an issue with maximum speed and cant deficiency on the Montreal - Senneterre trains and the Montreal - Jonquierre trains.

Fortunately, Via is still willing to park private cars at Via facilities, subject to certain limitations. So, I can still get to Montreal on Amtrak's Adirondack and park in Central Station or at the MMC.
 #1337847  by Backshophoss

Here's the kicker;they run the HEP-2 cars with the LRC cars,they DON'T tilt!
The HEP-1 cars(used on the Canadian) are used with the ex- British Rail "Nightstar" cars.
Has CN Imposed a lenght limit on the Canadian? That train gets real long over the summer months.
This doesn't make any sense!
 #1337860  by dowlingm

The LRCs don't tilt either. Has been disabled for reliability reasons and the capability was removed in those cars that went through rebuild to save weight - I remember a figure of 2 tonnes being mentioned.
 #1338065  by jp1822

Is this one way VIA is also trying to "boost" its "charter car service" - or whatever it is called whereby you can rent a Park Car or the Genfraser Lounge Car for a specific route?

Barring Private Cars is just dumb for VIA to adopt. Yes, they shouldn't be placed behind a Park Car, but it would be nice to have some sort of better "car" on the northern Quebec trains. I'd love to take a ride on these routes, but the length of them in just a coach car just seems very unappealing. If it had a dome or park car, I'd be more apt to take it - hence where the private car market could come into place.
 #1338083  by dowlingm

Does handling private cars make money for VIA? They have been cut to the bone by the Tories and may just not want the hassle any more.
 #1338155  by briann

Question for those "in the know": what is CN's attitude to private cars on its tracks in the US? Can't imagine they'd have a different view between the two countries.
 #1338168  by Backshophoss

In the US,CN/IC does not play well with Amtrak,has a requirement for a certain amount of Axles on
all Amtrak trains to "insure" track shunting at grade crossings. :(
 #1338254  by jhdeasy

Backshophoss wrote:Makes me wonder if VIA would handle an AAPRCO Convention Charter Run?
Or is CN just being a PAIN to deal with?
Via remains willing to operate a special train, at special train rates, for individual private car owners or for AAPRCO. There are some within AAPRCO who would like to do a convention special train to Halifax NS in 2017 or a future year.
dowlingm wrote:Does handling private cars make money for VIA? They have been cut to the bone by the Tories and may just not want the hassle any more.
I expect it did make money for Via, based on their private car tariff rates, which are significantly higher than Amtrak's rates. Via is $5.00 per mile; Amtrak is $2.75 per mile. Via overnight parking is $440 per car per day; Amtrak is $130 per car per day. Via charges $685 per car per move for switching; Amtrak, in most situations, does not charge for switching. Via charges $400 to loop, wye or turn a car; Amtrak, in most situations, does not charge for this service. Via adds various taxes to the bill for their services; Amtrak does not.
briann wrote:Question for those "in the know": what is CN's attitude to private cars on its tracks in the US? Can't imagine they'd have a different view between the two countries.
I'm not aware of any significant restrictions on private cars operating on Amtrak trains over CN tracks in the USA. However, I believe the Amtrak-CN contract requires a second locomotive when there are more than a certain number of cars in the consist of the City of New Orleans, so operating more than one PV on that train might trigger an additional locomotive charge ($4.25 per mile) billable to the PV owner(s).

I can't speak to the issue of someone trying to move an unoccupied private car from point A to point B in freight service on CN in the USA.