Railroad Forums 

• Bucksport Branch activity & news

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1333755  by conductorvern

my daughters husband worked for lane supply suppling parts to great northern and bucksport along with jay sappi and bucksport and now bucksport closed they have been forsed to lay off 10 positions but maybe the dsrx will buy the line and run trains on it someday but bucksport has turned into a ghost town and it doesn't seem right going there but maybe the competitor against the abomination of a company called verso will build another mill near there and everyone knows lincon is on its death bed running 1 machine 2 years ago there was paper mills in almost every county but now there is fewer than 8.
 #1333786  by conductorvern

well I have been in fl since September and im going home next week and I haven't heard much about Lincoln lately my source my neighbor here in fl died 2 months ago.
 #1333794  by conductorvern

I don't think woodland is shipping much but par runs a switcher daily aka 1 loco to oldtown with about 10-12 cars just high cubes.
 #1333823  by BostonUrbEx

NM-1 is a switcher on at Old Town, almost entirely dedicated to switching Old Town and ferrying cars back and forth from Northern Maine Junction. NM-2 also on at Old Town but that's a road job mostly for WANM/NMWA (go figure, it runs on the opposite side of Northern Maine Junction from Old Town...).

I was doing some research and found that the mill in Lincoln is still active (I think). Is there any talk of rail service for the Lincoln mill? I thought it was shut down, myself.
 #1333846  by KSmitty

roberttosh wrote:Slightly off topic, but how is the Old Town mill doing and do they ship much rail? Ditto for Woodland? Thanks.
Old Town ships out pulp bound for, I assume, Expera's Wisconsin mills. 5-10 F plates/day seems to be a fair assessment.
Most of Woodland's product is bound for Europe and is trucked to Eastport for its transAtlantic journey. However they do steady inbound business with fiber, and some pulping chemicals. When the tissue machines come on line we may see more outbound rail moves, and I'd expect an increase in the inbound as well.
BostonUrbEx wrote:I was doing some research and found that the mill in Lincoln is still active (I think). Is there any talk of rail service for the Lincoln mill? I thought it was shut down, myself.
Lincoln in still in business, but are down to just their tissue line. The paper and pulp production ceased what must have been 2 years ago now. Explosion in one of the boilers. They run their tissue line with market pulp purchased from Woodland last I knew. They have not used rail since the explosion, before their only business was Calcium Chlorate or some such chemical that came in those 2 bay UNPX covered hoppers.

I've not heard any rumors of LP&T coming back to rail service.
newpylong wrote:Lincoln just spent $10m on upgrades. They aren't going anywhere.
Do you have a link to a report or story on that? I don't remember seeing that, and I'd like to get more information on it. I didn't think they were in position to do that, so its nice to see!
 #1333864  by newpylong

KSmitty wrote:
roberttosh wrote:Slightly off topic, but how is the Old Town mill doing and do they ship much rail? Ditto for Woodland? Thanks.
Old Town ships out pulp bound for, I assume, Expera's Wisconsin mills. 5-10 F plates/day seems to be a fair assessment.
Most of Woodland's product is bound for Europe and is trucked to Eastport for its transAtlantic journey. However they do steady inbound business with fiber, and some pulping chemicals. When the tissue machines come on line we may see more outbound rail moves, and I'd expect an increase in the inbound as well.
BostonUrbEx wrote:I was doing some research and found that the mill in Lincoln is still active (I think). Is there any talk of rail service for the Lincoln mill? I thought it was shut down, myself.
Lincoln in still in business, but are down to just their tissue line. The paper and pulp production ceased what must have been 2 years ago now. Explosion in one of the boilers. They run their tissue line with market pulp purchased from Woodland last I knew. They have not used rail since the explosion, before their only business was Calcium Chlorate or some such chemical that came in those 2 bay UNPX covered hoppers.

I've not heard any rumors of LP&T coming back to rail service.
newpylong wrote:Lincoln just spent $10m on upgrades. They aren't going anywhere.
Do you have a link to a report or story on that? I don't remember seeing that, and I'd like to get more information on it. I didn't think they were in position to do that, so its nice to see!
http://bangordailynews.com/2015/03/23/b ... rovements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1333917  by KSmitty

Thanks!

Good to see they will have the ability to make their own pulp again. Maybe we will see those token few cars of chemicals come back...
 #1334258  by cvrr5809

As I mentioned earlier on Facebook, I drove by a Pan Am compressor truck at the old Verso Mill this morning . I could see two track workers manually hitting at spikes on the switches that connect the arrival and departure tracks by the North gate. Perhaps AIM will be getting some of the scrapping metals sent out after all. A couple hours later on my way back into town, they were gone. Just enough action to get the guessing underway once again......
 #1334263  by MECFAN

So whats going on at Bucksport now, is the mill being dismantled or is it just sitting there waiting to be???