Railroad Forums 

• Possible NJ Transit Fare Increase and Service Cuts

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1326609  by CNJGeep

TrainPhotos wrote:So, i'm confused.... i just checked trenton to new york prices and it's the same.... what gives?
Prices haven't gone up. The fare hike is still proposed, not a reality-yet.
 #1326646  by EuroStar

morris&essex4ever wrote:Who knows how much longer gas will be cheap. It's already gone to over $2.
The gas price can stay at about $2 longer than you or I imagine, there is a lot of the stuff in the ground, both in Pennsylvania and North Dakota, but also in the Middle East and Alberta. The gas price cannot be the incentive for people to ride the train, the tolls on the tunnels/GWB and the parking fees in NYC are our only hope for at least the next few years.

On a different tangent, is there anywhere ridership data for NJTransit? Monthly would be great, but even quarterly or annual will be good. Recently I have had the feeling that the trains I ride are emptier and I ride in peak hour -- are more people driving already? And the turnpike never seems traffic-y around Secaucus -- in fact the cars I see through the window are visibly faster than any train I have been on during the morning peak hour including the ones that do not stop at Secaucus. Maybe that is due to congestion on the tracks not allowing for the MAS which I hope is higher than 70-75mph (my estimate of the cars' speed on the turnpike).
 #1326709  by TrainPhotos

CNJGeep wrote:
TrainPhotos wrote:So, i'm confused.... i just checked trenton to new york prices and it's the same.... what gives?
31 bucks round trip 15 minutes longer than it used to take is pretty steep price all ready.
 #1326784  by CNJGeep

TrainPhotos wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
31 bucks round trip 15 minutes longer than it used to take is pretty steep price all ready.
So drive? For one person, $31 should just about cover parking.
 #1326931  by morris&essex4ever

TrainPhotos wrote:Yea, i live car free, so no, not driving. :wink:

P.S. Have you ever seen the highway traffic in NJ????
The highway traffic can be good to bad just like anywhere else.
 #1327046  by CentralValleyRail

Always good to see this on Monday Morning.

http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servle ... ProposalTo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montclair-Boonton Line: Proposed Elimination of Train #1043, the 12:32 a.m. departure from Hoboken
(Details at Newark and Secaucus Hearings)

1043 doesn't depart from Hoboken it departs from MSU.
 #1327134  by jamesinclair

So this isnt rail related, but it shows some incompetence at NJ Transit.

They propose to change the 2 zone bus from $2.35 to $2.55. That indicates the people planning this havent ridden transit in their life.

All the rail amounts are nice round numbers, even though transactions are done at a machine.

But for buses, where NJ Transit is maybe the last major system in the country to operate cash only (no swipe card, smart card, or even tokens), they want people to pay $2.55. Who carries around so many coins? $2.50 would cost the agency a miniscule amount in lost revenue, but the round amount would SAVE MONEY via faster customer transactions and more customer convenience.

It's just mind blowing.

For zone 1, they want $1.60 rather than $1.50. Again, that extra dime is idiotic. Youre adding a huge burden to the rider for a minimal increase in revenue.
 #1327144  by trollyFoamer

NJT buses accept prepurchased tickets. I don't know where else they sell them, but NJT Riverline vending machines sell zone 1, and the Camden Broadway station bus ticket agents sell other zones.
Other than that, and monthly passes, yeah, the buses are cash only.
 #1327172  by jamesinclair

trollyFoamer wrote:NJT buses accept prepurchased tickets. I don't know where else they sell them, but NJT Riverline vending machines sell zone 1, and the Camden Broadway station bus ticket agents sell other zones.
Other than that, and monthly passes, yeah, the buses are cash only.
Unfortunately, only a very limited amount of lines take tickets.

So in New Brunswick, where 5 routes leave from the train station that has 8 fare machines, none of them take tickets (the fare machines dont sell them either). Boarding takes a good 5 minutes as people try and get the fare machine to take their dollar bills and random assortment of coins.
 #1327186  by Defiant

morris&essex4ever wrote:And with gas still not very expensive, it's not a bad idea to drive.
Not a bad idea if you enjoy starting your morning and evening sitting in rush hour traffic, staring at the car in front of you. You can not check or answer work or personal e-mail, read the news, etc. You just sit in one position staring at the car in front of you and trying not to fall asleep. That has been my experience trying to drive once or twice in Northern NJ approaching Hoboken or Jersey City. And of course parking is exteremely expensive as well, both in Hoboken, Jersey City and of course Manhattan. It is possible that driving makes sense in Western NJ bordering PA....