Railroad Forums 

• 2016 Democratic National Convention - Philly

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1317149  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: (2/12/2015)

The Democratic National Convention has been awarded today to Philadelphia and will be held on July 25th to 28th,
2016 at the Wells Fargo Center in the Sports Complex and with added events at the Pennsylvania Convention Center...

This will affect rail transport in the Philadelphia area especially SEPTA's Broad Street Line and the Regional Rail
lines operating through Jefferson Station at Market East in particular...

See: http://6abc.com/politics/philadelphia-t ... on/514503/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the second major event that Philadelphia will host with the World Meeting of Families
coming up this September along with the Papal Visit and it will be interesting to see how SEPTA,
PATCO, Amtrak and NJT handle the expected added ridership into and out of Philadelphia during
these special events...

MACTRAXX
 #1317236  by R3 Passenger

As a result, the rehabilitation of 15th Street/City Hall stations are postponed:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/291741501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Nussbaum, Philadelphia Inquirer wrote:For the thousands of Democratic conventioneers, SEPTA will spruce up the dilapidated subway and trolley stations and concourses beneath City Hall.

However, the long-delayed, $150 million overhaul of the City Hall Station and 15th Street Station won't happen until after the crowds leave town, SEPTA officials said Thursday.

The subways will get cosmetic improvements this summer, in time for Pope Francis' visit, and will be touched up again in 2016 before the Democrats arrive in July.
 #1317386  by JeffK

How will the Convention's timing mesh with that for rolling out NPT on the rail division? I wonder if SEPTA might adjust their schedule somewhat like they plan to postpone work at City Hall. As someone who's worked on several very large computer systems, IMO the risk that NPT could have teething problems during a national-spotlight convention isn't worth taking.
 #1317417  by sammy2009

I think NPT surface /subway/trolley transit should be up before July hopefully. It my understanding that they are already testing....and i've seen proof that some of NPT is already live...someone i know tapped their credit card and NPT charged it. NPT Equipment is still popping up im sure. I just hope SEPTA can handle the loads...I have faith in them...they might have to adjust the regional rail schedules for both events...make the railroad a little more frequent if possible. NJTRANSIT needs to BEEF up the Atlantic City Line ...it will be summer and im sure people are going to want to hit the beach and Atlantic City.....im not worried about AMTRAK so much.
 #1317593  by radioboy

Doubt the current spotlight of how it's falling to pieces is going to have anyone itching to go to AC. Even if they did, it wouldn't be on the ACL, it would probably be some sort of chartered trip. They're here to schmooz, not for 2-hour train rides to the beach on public transit.
 #1371201  by MACTRAXX

Bump - One year later...Everyone:

Has there been anything recently mentioned by SEPTA or the City of Philadelphia on transit services to be provided
during the 2016 Democratic National Convention as of 2/15/2016? Five months and one week away as of this post.

See: http://www.phldnc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Democ ... Convention" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This year's DNC looks to be the largest single event in Philadelphia this year and as the dates draw closer
it will be interesting to see how SEPTA, Amtrak and NJT plans to serve the visiting conventioneers during
this high profile convention. Showing off Philadelphia's rail transit system may be a big positive here...

MACTRAXX
 #1371306  by JeffK

MACTRAXX wrote:Showing off Philadelphia's rail transit system may be a big positive here...
The good news is that the SL-Vs seem to have settled in. My only worry is on the transit side, b/c the Convention is just a couple of months after the Key is supposed to be rolled out. Whether or not the pols would be using the CTD, it'd be really bad if a lot of teething problems were being sprayed all over the airwaves at the same time. Fingers crossed ...
 #1371344  by NorthPennLimited

For the 2000 Republican Convention in Philadelphia, Union Pacific sent their office car train on a whistle stop tour to pickup delegates and take them right to the convention at the Core States Center in south Philadelphia via Greenwich Yard and a temporary siding adjacent to 11th Street.

The train also served as sleeping quarters for VIP's and the press while it was parked along 11th street for the week.

Photo courtesy of Stan's Railpix
Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
 #1371440  by MACTRAXX

NPL:

Good memory of the 2000 Republican Convention and the visit to Philadelphia of the UP business train which had
specially laid siding tracks adjacent to Greenwich Yard and the then-First Union Center.

UP is active in Republican circles - the late Drew Lewis of Montgomery County was a member of UP's management
and Board of Directors and was a former Secretary of Transportation during the 1980s Reagan presidency.

With the added security post 9/11 more then likely this train would not be accessible to any trainspotters the way
that it was back in 2000. It will be interesting if there is any private cars operated to the DNC or business trains
from any Class 1 railroads - Norfolk Southern is a possibility remembering past involvement with the Democratic
Party and this close rail access to the Wells Fargo Center could very well be used again.

JK: I think that DNC attendees should be able to get special Anywhere passes from SEPTA similar to the WMOF
passes that event made available for credentialed visitors only. This was separate from passes sold to the Public.

Taking a chance on the SEPTA Key could be more problems then it is worth especially if this new system develops
significant "bugs" with its introduction. I note Chicago's new "Ventra" card as a good example noting that this new
fare card has its own problems - and has been mentioned at times in the Railroad.net Chicagoland Forum section.

SEPTA should gradually introduce the new Key system over the course of time and phase out the other types of
current fare media as the system gets updated. Rushing the Key into operation too quickly may be a huge mistake.
Other transit systems introducing new fare payment types have taken this route for major implementation like this.

The SEPTA Key needs to be able to prove itself in service and furthermore be reliable before any of the current
fare options are converted to this new system and are phased out.

MACTRAXX
 #1388808  by MACTRAXX

BUMP - Everyone: (6/15/2016)

Four months later...With six weeks until the DNC in Philadelphia has SEPTA announced any plans to accommodate
the large number of visitors that will be coming in for this event?

With the Wells Fargo Center hosting the DNC the BSL will be the prime route to be used to access this venue and
with other related DNC events being held at the Pennsylvania Convention Center Regional Rail - Jefferson Station
at Market East - should be another busy spot for DNC visitors.

If anyone has any information relevant to the DNC concerning special services or fares for Convention attendees
or the general public about SEPTA, NJT or PATCO please post it here - I will thank all in advance...

MACTRAXX
 #1393039  by MACTRAXX

BUMP...One month later - July 15, 2016:

After seeing a map of the secured area surrounding the Wells Fargo Center for the DNC has SEPTA released any further information on services and incentive fares available during the DNC (July 25-28) especially where it concerns the BSL?

With the Regional Rail car shortage and subsequent schedule changes to a modified Saturday schedule on all RRD lines this may affect those attending any DNC side events at the Pennsylvania Convention Center - even though the BSL will be the prime link between them.

With the Republican National Convention beginning in Cleveland July 18th to 21st I noted that GCRTA will operate regular Rapid service on
all three lines to Downtown during the RNC with the only closing being the Waterfront Line on Sunday July 17th. The three Rapid rail lines are: CLE Hopkins Airport-Windermere (Red Line-heavy rail); Shaker and Van Aken (Green and Blue Lines-Light Rail) They are selling a special $20 unlimited system pass for the RNC week of July 17th to 23rd.
See: http://www.riderta.com/2016CLE#multi-section-tab1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully the DNC will not have any similar effect on Philadelphia like the Papal Visit had on the City last September...

MACTRAXX
 #1393050  by JeffersonLeeEng

I think the Regional Rail snafu has pretty much put the kibosh on any planning by SEPTA to offer incentive fares or special service. I'm assuming normal fares and city transit division services will be still be in effect (with allowances made for the usual security zones and the like and any special chartering the DNC or others can rustle up). The best bets are probably a weekly Trans (or Trail) Pass if you're staying the whole week, or the Convenience or Independence Pass.

With all 10,000 Early Adopter Key Cards having been scarfed up, I guess that's not an option anymore.

Related articles:

* http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/0 ... this-month" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* http://billypenn.com/2016/07/06/the-ppa ... ail-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* http://www.visitphilly.com/democratic-n ... m42abuxoob" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will any SEPTA routes change during the DNC?

Additional service along the Broad Street Line (BSL) will be added during the convention. Travelers should expect crowds on public transit similar to sporting events when Convention programming begins and ends.

While the Convention has not yet released their full schedule, historically sessions have begun at 5 p.m.and concluded at 11 p.m.
 #1394208  by AlexC

Bumping this thread up.

Please use it to discuss convention related transit items. BSL/El & etc. Any private cars that might turn up are OK too.

Do not use it for politics.
 #1394281  by JeffersonLeeEng

http://www.septa.org/events/dncphilly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <--- SEPTA's service information page for the DNC included implementation of route detours and delays on an as needed basis with relation to possible protests/demonstrations in the downtown/center city and/or South Philly areas.

Looks like that the subway will be the best possible way to get anywhere in town this week.