Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1314179  by Terrapin Station

...CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE AREA FROM LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY...

We can all post our Metro-North news, observations, and photos related to the storm here.

Metro-North Ready for Storm
Last edited by nomis on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Unnecessary sentence.
 #1314181  by Backshophoss

The Weather Channel calls this storm "Juno",the leading edge has made it to Pittsburg Pa.
Jr plans to close the state to truckers sometime overnight,may just close the state to all traffic after that
The mayor of NYC in news conference says "STAY AT HOME"
Should be a interesting monday am rush hour.
 #1314185  by nomis

No violations here, I was just finishing getting back from Springfield and dinner & you already made the thread. I'll tweak the thread title once were through the storm though for searchability sake.
 #1314189  by Terrapin Station

Backshophoss wrote:The Weather Channel calls this storm "Juno",the leading edge has made it to Pittsburg Pa.
Jr plans to close the state to truckers sometime overnight,may just close the state to all traffic after that
The mayor of NYC in news conference says "STAY AT HOME"
Should be a interesting monday am rush hour.
I purposely didn't use the name "Juno" even though the MTA is using it because: a) it's lame; and b) I don't want to validate the Weather Channel's stupidity.
 #1314190  by Terrapin Station

nomis wrote:No violations here, I was just finishing getting back from Springfield and dinner & you already made the thread. I'll tweak the thread title once were through the storm though for searchability sake.
Thanks! Yes, if some excellent name for this storm gets penned by the press or the Governor or whatnot, then yes, this thread should be renamed as such. But for now, what the National Weather Service (NWS) is calling this storm (the "CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD") is good enough for me!
 #1314191  by Terrapin Station

I'll be riding MNCR to and from work tomorrow so wish me luck. I'll post updates from work and from home but probably not from my phone onboard MNCR because this site isn't exactly mobile friendly, from what I recall.
 #1314268  by nomis

Metro-North Operates Early Getaway Service in Advance of the Blizzard
In advance of Winter Storm Juno, Metro-North will operate an early getaway schedule today. Extra trains will depart Grand Central Terminal between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., with regular schedules between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., and fewer trains than a regular rush hour between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.

WOH - Last service to depart it's point of origin at 8:00pm ... per NJT website headline.
 #1314312  by nomis

SLE Update

Monday, January 26
  • SLE train 1695 the 7:38 p.m. New London departure will operate as the last westbound train.
  • Train 1682 the 10:15 p.m. New Haven departure will be the last eastbound train.
Tuesday January 27
  • Shore Line East WILL NOT operate morning train service.
 #1314381  by MACTRAXX

Terrapin Station wrote:
nomis wrote:No violations here, I was just finishing getting back from Springfield and dinner & you already made the thread. I'll tweak the thread title once were through the storm though for searchability sake.
Thanks! Yes, if some excellent name for this storm gets penned by the press or the Governor or whatnot, then yes, this thread should be renamed as such. But for now, what the National Weather Service (NWS) is calling this storm (the "CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD") is good enough for me!
TS and Everyone:

This storm is being referred to already as the Blizzard of 2015 and we can change the title appropriately as it refers to MNCR... it looks like CT will perhaps be hit hardest...

Everybody be safe and hope for the best...

MACTRAXX
 #1314402  by Backshophoss

At a snowfall rate of 3 inches an hour,it becomes difficult to keep a path open,shovel a path from the front door
to the street,the front door will covered with at least 1-2 inches of snow again!
Throw in the wind blown snow,and it seems like you didn't shovel any snow at all.
There's a point when it becomes a losing battle to keep the path open.
 #1314439  by Clean Cab

Most of the storm has left the NY City area and the snow fall amounts are below expectations. Glad to see MN took the threat of the storm seriously rather than trying to keep trains running.
 #1314454  by nomis

From Last night ...

Metro-North Announces Service Suspension
As Winter Storm Juno buffets the region, Metro-North Railroad's last trains on all lines will depart beginning at 9 PM before the railroad suspends service at 11 PM. This will allow customers to safely reach their final destinations, either northbound or southbound before the worst of the storm reaches the area. The Hudson Rail Link, Haverstraw-Ossining Ferry, and Newburgh Beacon Ferry will also be suspended. Grand Central Terminal will close to the public at midnight until further notice.

NEW HAVEN LINE
  • Outbound
  • The last train to New Haven will depart Grand Central at 9:39 p.m., making all stops from Fordham to New Haven.
  • New Canaan Branch: The last train to New Canaan will depart GCT at 9:06 p.m. and connect at Stamford at 9:53 p.m.
  • Danbury Branch: The last train to Danbury will depart Grand Central at 9:39 p.m., and connect at South Norwalk at 11:16 PM.
  • Waterbury Branch: The last train to Waterbury will depart Grand Central at 6:53 p.m., and connect at Bridgeport at 8:31 PM.
  • Inbound
  • The last inbound train from New Haven will depart at 8:47 p.m.
  • The last inbound train from Stamford will depart at 10:04 p.m.
  • The last inbound train from New Canaan to New York will depart at 10:28 PM, and terminates at Stamford with no connection to New York.
  • One additional train will depart New Canaan at 9:28 PM, operating only to Stamford, with no connections to points between Stamford and New York.
  • The last train from Danbury will depart at 9:27 p.m., and terminates at Stamford with no connection to New York.
  • The last train from Waterbury will depart at 9:58 p.m. This train will make all stops from Bridgeport to Stamford. No connection to will be available to Grand Central Terminal or any stations between Stamford and New York.
  • Please be advised Connecticut Governor Malloy has ordered a travel ban for all Connecticut roads beginning at 9:00 p.m. tonight. Customers should act accordingly.
HARLEM LINE
  • Outbound
  • The last train to North White Plains will depart GCT at 9:25 p.m.
  • The last train to Southeast will depart GCT at 9:52 p.m.
  • The last train to Wassaic will depart GCT at 8:52 p.m.
    Inbound
  • The last inbound train from Southeast will depart at 10:15 p.m. and will make all local stops from North White Plains to GCT.
  • The last inbound train from Wassaic with a connection to New York will depart at 9:30 PM.
  • One additional train will depart Wassaic at 11:28 p.m., operating only to Southeast station, with no connection to points between Southeast and New York.
HUDSON LINE
  • Outbound
  • The last train to Poughkeepsie will depart GCT at 9:20 p.m. and make all local stops from Yankees-East 153rd to Poughkeepsie.
    Inbound
  • The last inbound train from Poughkeepsie will depart at 8:54 p.m.
  • The last inbound train from Croton-Harmon will depart at 10:00 p.m.
 #1314455  by nomis

And currently ...

Metro-North to Resume Service On All Three Lines With a Sunday Schedule
Metro-North will resume service today, operating a Sunday schedule on the Hudson & Harlem Lines beginning at approximately 11 AM; and on the New Haven Line starting at 1 PM. Metro-North will operate a regular schedule on Wednesday, January 28.

The first trains operating will be:

HUDSON LINE:
  • Inbound
  • The 10:54 AM train from Poughkeepsie
  • The 11:31 AM train from Croton-Harmon
    Outbound
  • The 10:43 AM train from Grand Central Terminal (GCT) to Poughkeepsie
  • The 11:20 AM train from GCT to Croton-Harmon
HARLEM LINE:
  • Inbound
  • The 11:14 AM train from Southeast
  • The 11:33 AM train from North White Plains