Railroad Forums 

• Mt. Top To Jim Thorpe

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1274318  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I see that R&N will be running a steam trip from Mt. Top to Jim Thorpe and back on July 5th. What trackage is CNJ and what is LV ? It get confusing on what is what. Where are some easily accesible spots along this route? I know Glen Onoko you have to get by the park trail (abandoned CNJ). White Haven may be a good spot.Any ideas? I'm shooting video so I don't care about shade or anything like that. I take what nature gives me and deal with it.
 #1274341  by JhnZ33

The track from Mountain Top to Frazers (just north or RR east of White Haven) is CNJ. From Frazers to Coalport the train will be on LV trackage. At Coalport, they will cross the bridge over the Lehigh River, pass Nesquehoning JCT and enter into Jim Thorpe on CNJ trackage.
 #1274355  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I'm going to have to start checking out some maps. I haven't been to the Mt. Top area in over 12 years. White Haven is easy. I may have to get a bike for the gorge though. I haven't had my fat butt on a bike in about 25 years. :-)
 #1279878  by oibu

Was considering trying to get a shot or two of the SB trip in the AM, but the thought occurred... will 425 be able to lead, and face forward on both legs of the trip? Or will a diesel lead one direction (doubt they'd run 425 in reverse for that distance). Trying to think how they would go about turning at JIm Thorpe... does the table actually still work? Otherwise,????
 #1279942  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I was wondering about that myself. I'm not going directly to Thorpe. I'm staying near Glen Onoko to catch the regular LGSRY train, Thorpe on Saturdays and Sundays is gridlock city! I've marked locations for the run and will trace my route backwards on the way up to see what will work. Just wonder how slow train will go. They have it taking 2 hours.
 #1280250  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Guess we'll find out tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be perfect. Looks like I'm going to hang out until the return trip. Hoping for a few locations to give me some variety. I'm in good enough shape to walk a few miles on the trail to get some shots of the regular train while waiting for the 425.Have to see what transpires.
 #1280727  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Greta weather but I was a bit disappointed. When 425 left Mt.Top she was only doing about 10mph on what looks like a runaround track or siding with old jointed rail.The X-ings were jammed with people so I walked about 100 yds. down track for an unobstructed view. A doe came across the tracks about 20 yds. away while I was waiting.
Caught 425 at the wall/bridge at White Haven but my tape or camera messed up. Getting out of there was a disaster. Wall to wall bicyclists and kayakers walking in front of cars and not caring. That delay and a couple of slow pokes on 534 made me miss it in Glen Onoko by about a minute. Hung out and got Lehigh Gorge train and left for some drag racing at Numidia. Saw them turning 425 on turntable when I was waiting for the light at 903/209. I just couldn't see hanging out for another 4 hours for maybe 2 shots. Will see her again in September and October.
 #1313266  by rwk

I wonder if LGSRY will do another summer steam run this year? September is so far away.