Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1302158  by Clean Cab

I the coming year, MN's New Haven Line will use two radio channels instead of one. Currently radio channel 3 frequency 160.545 (AAR channel 29) covers the entire line from CP 212 to CP 274 including the New Canaan, Danbury and Waterbury branches. In the near future the current 160.545 will only be used from CP 212 to CP 235 including the New Canaan Branch and the GCT Stationmasters Office radio channel 160.335 (AAR 15) will be used from CP 235 to CP 274 including the Danbury and Waterbury branches. On MN radios this new frequency will occupy the channel 4 space that is currently not utilized. This is being to reduce the amount of radio traffic on the New Haven Line's current one channel.
 #1302179  by BlendedBreak

On a railroad like MN this can be literally life threatening. With all the working limit stop signs that have been popping up around CP 234/235. Its only a matter of time before some lost - in -translation type error occurs where a miscommunication between train and track foreman(who will now have to monitor 2 radio channels) goes bad... good luck.

This wont help anything btw.

The more sensible option would be to change the channels of the branches... oh Metro North...What will they think of next?
 #1302189  by nomis

There's nothing different on how the foreman has to listen to channels near Stamford vs what happens everyday near CP 212 or CP 274 or any other divisional or radio post here across the nation. Heck, a Septa train from the Reading side to Trenton will have 4 different road radio channels (5 road channels if it connects to Fox Chase or West Trenton service) over two different railroads.

Changing the channel only for the branches would only be a negligible decrease in radio traffic.
 #1302219  by BlendedBreak

Here's how i have found it works at MN. I call a mobile unit, and depending on which direction im heading a specific foreman will answer. I will then be told to 'standby' as he radios his crew to see if they are in the clear. Then i wait as he gets back to me. I hear his comms with his crew the whole time.

Now you are telling me; if A mobile work unit is straddling a mile or greater of track over this radio change point, that there wont be any confusion when he has to call the east end group to confirm everyone is in the clear, then change channels and call the west end to see if they are clear, and then call me back to say i have permission?

Knowing how MN takes shortcuts esp these track guys its a disaster waiting to happen. Radio traffic isn't as bad on the NHV line as it is in NYP anyway. Why not instead improve the radio issues District G has in New Haven First?
 #1302239  by Clean Cab

It's a huge improvement when you consider that all three divisions used to be on what today is channel 2. This change is needed due to the many trains and constant radio chatter. I'm sure both train crews and RTC's will appreciate having to deal with a lot less talking on the radios.
 #1302331  by RearOfSignal

None of this should be a problem if all rules are followed. Generally only on mobile unit is used per track with working limits and trains rarely operate from different directions on the same track within less than several minutes of each other. Besides that the mobile unit sometimes uses multiple radio channels to communicate with the foreman anyway, even in just two track territory.

Splitting the radio channels on the New Haven seems like a logical idea.
 #1302407  by truck6018

Unfortunately there are too many occasions that it is a problem regardless:

Example 1: two or three weekends ago tracks 2 and 4 were out at cp 3 with working limits on Tracks 1 and 3 with the same mobile unit controlling the moves. To make things more complicated is the northbound A board was in the tunnel where communication was difficult at best with the mobile unit.

Example 2: last year during a Yankees game there were working limits at cp106. At the conclusion of the game there was "Yankee Stadium" calling trains to close the doors. The trains calling district M to move south and trains calling the mobile unit to go through the working limits.
 #1305490  by Clean Cab

There has been a fair amount less radio traffic on District F (CP 235 - CP266) ever since the Danbury Branch began using a signal system rather than being issued train orders. But that has not lasted very long, now the radio traffic has once again increased due to all the track work and work areas.
 #1306235  by radioman2001

The additional channel is to clear up the radio traffic, if you could only hear what it sounds like in the RTC. It's more like CB 19 than a rail channel, and has been an issue for many years. The radio dept has cut power back on bases to cut interference but there is just TOO much traffic over the whole length of the area, and with virtually line of sight between all bases and cars up and down the L.I.Sound it is not uncommon for a train in New Rochelle to interfere with a work crew in Stamford and further East. The only problem I would see for track crews is if there work area covers both West and East radio sections of track, which is going to be about Stamford. Using the frequency on the branches is not justified due to the low volume of radio traffic, as all the interference problems are along the main West East line.
 #1309144  by Clean Cab

MN is also going to create a designated yard radio channel instead of using other road channels. The frequency will be 161.040 (AAR 62). There is no firm date for this change however, but paperwork has been filed with the FRA and FCC.
 #1309168  by kitn1mcc

that whole east west corridor is a big radio funnel. then add the nice ducts that setup over LIS in the summer its a mess
 #1337142  by Steamboat Willie

There was birth of a new RTC District "S" recently. To help facilitate the amount of track work and just sheer amount of trains, Dist S works from 0745-1545hrs Mon-Fri, controlling CP232 thru CP241 including the New Canaan and Danbury branch. There has been some debate as to have Dist S work the overnight as third trick F has their hands full with track work. Time will tell.