Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1305416  by Clean Cab

As far as I know, train #1327 is the only 12 car train on the New Haven Line. It comes out of Stamford Yard and only makes Harrison, Mamaroneck, Larchmont & GCT usually around 7:45 AM.
 #1305502  by Fan Railer

Clean Cab wrote:As far as I know, train #1327 is the only 12 car train on the New Haven Line. It comes out of Stamford Yard and only makes Harrison, Mamaroneck, Larchmont & GCT usually around 7:45 AM.
Thanks.
 #1308212  by Fan Railer

Travelsonic wrote:When the Thanksgiving shopping specials ran they were 12-car consists too if I recall correctly... would always see one go through Mamaroneck every day like clockwork.
Going to be fanning those this Holiday Season... last opportunity to get that RFW on the NHV. Not going to miss that for my life.
 #1343377  by Jeff Smith

Clean Cab wrote:As far as I know, train #1327 is the only 12 car train on the New Haven Line. It comes out of Stamford Yard and only makes Harrison, Mamaroneck, Larchmont & GCT usually around 7:45 AM.
Probably rode that train regularly from Mamaroneck during my commute to Manhattan. Always spotted the front two off the platform at Larchmont (they'd occasionally do this at Mamaroneck, too). Probably the only train inbound that it was not impossible to get good seats in the front car. At Larchmont you'd see them racing up LOL. This was mid to late 80's, before the M2's breaking down led to short consists.

Speaking of Larchmont, that would be an easy station to lengthen. Nice and straight. Mamaroneck would be tougher due to bridges, but not impossible.
 #1343592  by Travelsonic

Fan Railer wrote:Would anyone be able to tell me which New Haven Line trains (####) run with 12 car consists? I've personally seen a few 12 car M2 sets, but no 12 car M8 sets yet. Thanks in advance.
I've, occasionally, seen at least 1 12-car M8 consist, never when I had my camera out though (dammit :( ) - and I am sure I am not seeing things.
Jeff Smith wrote: Speaking of Larchmont, that would be an easy station to lengthen. Nice and straight. Mamaroneck would be tougher due to bridges, but not impossible.
I mean, heading north-northeast, you have a little space before crossing Jefferson Ave, then you have the Diamond car wash on the Halstead Ave side of the ROW, and houses on the other side of the ROW. Heading south-southwest towards Larchmont, you have an embankment adjacent to Hoyt on one side that seems wide enough to accommodate a platform, and on the other side, space between the embankment wall, and parking for commuters, apartment residents, etc (as well as the aforementioned homes /apartment across the street from the parking). The space would be there, but there are other obstacles, mainly the neighbors, that could get in the way All this talk is theoretical of course.

On the subject of Mamaroneck, how is the parking situation there so far as the need for spaces, current capacity, etc?

I ask because I look at the space on the GCT side - adjacent to the entrance ramp, to the avenue - that used to be overgrown with trees and bushes, but now is home to a concrete pathway, and a sculpture, and wonder if it could have been better utilized if in fact spaces are needed...