Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Snow Storm Shut Down

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1304533  by SST

I looked for the you tube videos. Didn't find anything current. Just one BSOR 5 years ago......got a link?
 #1304591  by terminalfanatic

Interesting drone video on the "Central Terminal" dump site. Offers a pretty cool view of how much snow has been transported there so far.

http://youtu.be/bLs34xMscwo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1304786  by BSOR Patarak

The BSOR worked Saturday and Sunday to clear out the massive amounts of snow that fell on the Hamburg area. Sunday we were able to plow down to the north end of the line at BC Junction and clear all of the switches for interchange work. Since then the snow has quickly melted with the rains and warm temperatures.....thankfully. We are actually down to bare ground on the whole line and service has returned to normal.

I do keep the alcohol in the cab for the controls, but seldom need to use it. Of course the colder it is, the more trouble we have with the air.The main plow front plow seldom gives me any troubles. This is the main tool for snow clearing, as it raises or lowers between the rails ahead of the lead truck. This clears out the ice and snow before any wheel hits it, far better than a flanger mounted on many other types of plows.
 #1304922  by SST

I went out yesterday to check on my boat storage facility. They were kinda in the line of fire. Barn is still standing strong. :-) I had to cross over CSX a couple of times and they were running a lot of trains westbound. I saw 3 in about a 15 minute period or so.

The last train I saw was already 1 mile west of me when I crossed over the tracks at Colby at Genesee St[33] near Pembroke. I wasn't sure I'd catch up with him but over 13 miles and not much traffic I not only caught up with him, but got ahead of him by the time I got to Pavement in Lancaster. He was averaging 50mph. Between the traffic stops and other vehicles, my average was 55. So it took the entire 13 miles to get ahead of him. He had 2 CSX locomotives and 2 UP locomotives [maybe ex-UP] up front. Lots of tank cars.

The Cargil plant on 33 at Wortendyke Rd was full. I'm guessing about 10 to 15 cars on a double track spur.

Ran into some minor flooding near the airport with Ellicott Creek. We got lucky.