Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Snow Storm Shut Down

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1303922  by Matt Langworthy

twropr wrote:Did Rochester get hit with any snow?
Most of Monroe County received just 1 to 3 inches, depending on location. The closest town to Rochester with heavy snow is Leroy- they have at least a couple feet on the ground.
 #1303927  by sd80mac

charlie6017 wrote:Yeah that's right! I had forgotten about that early January snow in '99. We had two storms a few days apart and
we were swamped!

Good memory! :wink:

Charlie
actually two weeks apart. both of these snow melted or blew away few days later...
 #1303928  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:The problem is a cold snap blowing over the lakes; once they freeze over, this kind of stuff pretty well stops. But that doesn't usually happen until January or so.

Also in the middle of all this is the WNYRHS Train & Toy Show, this weekend. The weather's supposed to be better by then - but who will come to the show when its finally decent enough to start digging out?

actually someone out there have way bigger problem to worry about than these WNYRHS people.... They need to remove these snow in that place, plus the parking lots.. Not even a hint of seats in this picture!!! But... who cares about these Bills and Jets this sunday... I'm glad that Miami isn't playing in that snow!!!! :-D
 #1303932  by AMK0123

Saw one of the earlier posts stated about a detour of the Q090 and wanted to pass along I was just listening to the scanner this morning, and just heard Q090 making a meet with a X351 and a K144 in Milton, NY River line milepost QR69.
 #1303934  by BR&P

From WHEC Channel 10 on-line news:

Amtrak is resuming some passenger train service through Buffalo after service had been suspended due to severe lake-effect storms that have dumped more than 4 feet of snow on parts of western New York.

Amtrak says the Maple Leaf, between New York City and Toronto, and Trains 63 and 64 will be restored starting Thursday, with delays expected.

Service was suspended Tuesday because of the heavy snowfall and travel bans issued by local officials in Erie County, which has Amtrak stations in Buffalo and suburban Depew.

Other Amtrak service between Albany-Rensselaer and Buffalo or Cleveland remains temporarily suspended through Thursday afternoon. This includes Amtrak Empire Service and Lake Shore Limited trains scheduled through mid-day.

Amtrak service north, east and south of Albany continues to operate.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3625908.shtml?cat=565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1303942  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Other Amtrak service between Albany-Rensselaer and Buffalo or Cleveland remains temporarily suspended through Thursday afternoon. This includes Amtrak Empire Service and Lake Shore Limited trains scheduled through mid-day.
I dont understand... CSX had resume the operation yesterday. if the travel ban is in effective for that county, cant 48/49 skip station stops in that affected county and drop the affected passengers off at prior or following stations? I am sure that the flood of EB and WB would had cleared the track that Amtrak shouldn't have any problem running through.
 #1303966  by terminalfanatic

HAMBURG TOY & TRAIN SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Special Announcement - Further consultation with the Hamburg Fairgrounds and the Hamburg DPW this morning has now lead us to reach the unfortunate decision to cancel the Train & Toy Show scheduled for the Hamburg Event Center this weekend.

We were fairly confident last evening that we could move forward with the show but the current snow event this morning has already dumped an additional foot of snow in Hamburg and the Fairgrounds personnel cannot guarantee that the parking lots can be cleared by Saturday.

Also the Hamburg DPW is currently overwhelmed with snow clearing efforts and cannot guarantee that the driving ban in the town will be lifted by Saturday morning. The Governor's morning news conference regarding the reopening of the Thruway gave no assurances that this would happen before Saturday as well.

This is the first time in 32 years that this event has been cancelled due to weather, but the impact of this week's storm is unprecedented but the safety of our dealers and the general public drove us to reach this decision. We had thought about rescheduling, but there are no open dates at the Event Center to accommodate us. Dealers will be contacted by the Train Show Committee about refunds, etc.

We are extremely disappointed with the cancellation as this is our major fundraiser for the year and the lost revenue will be missed, plus the event is always so much fun. However,

For those individuals who downloaded and printed the Valpak forms for the drawing for the $500 Niagara Hobby Gift Certificates, we will now draw for the prize at the February Train Show. Just mail them in or keep them for the next show.

We thank you for your continued support of the Train show and we will see you in February.

For any questions, just email us at [email protected]
 #1304027  by lvrr325

terminalfanatic wrote:HAMBURG TOY & TRAIN SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Special Announcement - Further consultation with the Hamburg Fairgrounds and the Hamburg DPW this morning has now lead us to reach the unfortunate decision to cancel the Train & Toy Show scheduled for the Hamburg Event Center this weekend.

didn't read the Train Shows thread, I see.

The Bills game has also been postponed and possibly moved after the big C suggested it would be unwise to hold it as scheduled during a speech on Thursday.
 #1304047  by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:
terminalfanatic wrote:HAMBURG TOY & TRAIN SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELLED

didn't read the Train Shows thread, I see.

The Bills game has also been postponed and possibly moved after the big C suggested it would be unwise to hold it as scheduled during a speech on Thursday.
That was actually posted here about 2 hours BEFORE you posted it in the Train Show thread. :P It's too bad, sounds like there is no practical way to re-schedule and those who count on the event are SOL. On the other hand I'm sure that's only one of hundreds of things impacted by the storm.

While we do have jet blowers for switches, they are pretty much useless against many feet of snow. And overall, there has not been a lot of technological improvement in snow removal on the railroad - it still takes a lot of human effort. It's hard to comprehend how the companies dug out from this sort of storm back when Buffalo was a vibrant industrial hub. A LOT of men and a LOT of shovels and switch brooms!
 #1304050  by Jack Shufelt

After a big storm and back before liability became such an issue it was not unusual for a railroad to hire high school students or college students to help shovel out a yard. I know that was done in Albany and likely at other locations.
 #1304051  by BR&P

Jack Shufelt wrote:After a big storm and back before liability became such an issue it was not unusual for a railroad to hire high school students or college students to help shovel out a yard. I know that was done in Albany and likely at other locations.
Yup - I had a cousin whose railroad "career" was a day or two of shoveling out....I think it was Selkirk Yard...while he was in college.

Kachler's book tells of them bringing in Naval trainees from Sampson Naval Base to dig out Rochester Yard during WW II. That gives a good idea of how vital to the nation the rails were at that time. I doubt you'd see the military used to aid a company such as CSX today.
 #1304088  by lakeshoredave

i heard from a friend of mine who works for the cp that both the cn and the cp both had to tie down trains at various locations due to the blizzard and that frontier or bison yards were not accepting trains.

honestly i was shocked to see that as many trains ran as they have over the last couple days on csx and ns from what people have told me.
 #1304113  by sd80mac

lakeshoredave wrote:i heard from a friend of mine who works for the cp that both the cn and the cp both had to tie down trains at various locations due to the blizzard and that frontier or bison yards were not accepting trains.

honestly i was shocked to see that as many trains ran as they have over the last couple days on csx and ns from what people have told me.

When we had 52" snowstorm in rochester in 1999. it shut down the tracks. but CSX had it open up next day... CSX is not going to sit down and wait... that wouldnt make UPS and other truck companies happy.

CSX had got their high priority trains go through first... I would guess that by now, they're all caught up and probably getting low priority trains moving by now.