Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Snow Storm Shut Down

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1303692  by terminalfanatic

With all the massive amount of snow that have fallen all over Erie County. How have the railroads in the area coped? I heard that Buffalo & Pittsburgh and South Buffalo suspended operations this morning as well.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/amtrak-suspend ... om-buffalo
 #1303694  by BR&P

From the TV it looks like BSOR is dead center. Is the Jordan Spreader operational? What do they have available to clear the line with?
 #1303709  by lvrr325

With six feet of snow where do you even push it all? Tracks on embankments are one things, but through cuts or other low places is another. A rotary or something like the large snowblower Conrail used to have up here is going to be in order.
 #1303717  by charlie6017

Would make sense if CSX and NS deploy empty hoppers to ship snow down south like
Conrail did during Blizzard of '77.

Charlie
 #1303718  by davidns8560

charlie6017 wrote:Would make sense if CSX and NS deploy empty hoppers to ship snow down south like

Charlie
Is there a way to get advance info of special snow clearing activities, so we can take photos? Yesterday I was trackside. The Maple Leaf to Toronto went by. Wonder if it made it? I think it must've been the last westbound Amtrak of the day. And the eastbound LSL was 5.5 hours late! Oddly enough, no snow at all here in CNY yesterday.

Dave
 #1303722  by rls62

I work about a mile west of MP367 in Rochester and there is an eastbound Amtrak train that has been parked on the tracks since at least 5pm yesterday. It's right at the popular railfan site near the intersection of Blossom and University.
 #1303751  by lakeshoredave

i've heard csx has run a few trains today and some ran last night too. i guess they have dispatched a few snow jets and jordan spreaders out this way if they can get crews to run these trains. i heard a few detours have been planned, but i'd guess most trains will be held.
 #1303758  by tree68

charlie6017 wrote:Would make sense if CSX and NS deploy empty hoppers to ship snow down south like

Charlie
I heard at the time that a cold snap accompanied those hoppers south, so the snow didn't melt like they planned...
 #1303762  by CP4743

There was a post on a Yahoo Group this morning that the CSX rotary snow blower that was in Selkirk was WB out of Selkirk around 8am this morning. The assumption was that it was headed for Buffalo. This is the faded MOW green self propelled snow blower SB1000.

John
 #1303765  by pumpers

There are confirmed depths in the 4 - 5+ foot range just east and south of Buffalo. http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php ... &version=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And another 2-3 feet predicted to come starting tonight up to Friday night. I don't care what kind of spreader you have and how powdery it is supposed to be, this is crazy... I can't imagine there won't be lots of trains held up and detours. Maybe close to a week with no Amtrak.
JS
 #1303769  by sd80mac

Charlie

and they did that again in 1999 with 52" of snow in Rochester or the famous October snowstorm in buffalo - I cant remember which storm..
 #1303782  by BR&P

sd80mac wrote:

Charlie
and they did that again in 1999 with 52" of snow in Rochester or the famous October snowstorm in buffalo - I cant remember which storm..
And going way back, Kachler's book "The Snowflaker" tells of a blizzard in 1945 which paralyzed the NYC in Rochester. They used a Jordan Spreader to push all the snow in the North Yard to Track 5, where it was still melting away in June. Side dumps were loaded with snow and dumped in to the Genesee River, and flat cars were loaded with snow and shipped out to warmer locations. It must have been quite the storm, there are pics of cars derailed and tipped over in the Hump Yard.