Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1290556  by drvmusic

#7470 wrote:Hi drvmusic,

To answer your questions, there is nothing wrong with the 4266 and she wasn't damaged. When she ran the summer special with 7470 we discovered that she needed some new valve cover gaskets which have since been installed. We still need to work on adjusting her injectors and we're doing that in our spare time. My buddy and I will probably spend a couple of Saturday nights after work on this but we won't be needing her again until railfans weekend. The 6749 car is our top priority in the roundhouse right now.

Regarding the 470 units 4268 and 1757; we don't own these units so I'm not sure when the work will be done. 1757 does run and is currently tucked away on the freight house siding track with stack covers on her prime mover will be in good shape when the 470 RR Club decides to do the swap.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the gift shop but I am glad the day was great otherwise.

Matt
Thanks for the updates Matt! Much appreciated! I appreciate (and envy) the work you and the others do! I often wonder how you keep an old-timer like 573 running and looking so great with such a heavy workload! Bravo!

Glad to know my favorite, 4266, is doing well! Some day I hope to be on a consist pulled by her (not that I don't appreciate 573).

Kudos to you and all at CSRX :-) I'm hoping to get up there for one more ride this fall. One of these years, I'm going to make it to Railfan's Weekend! Not this year unfortunately.

-Scott
 #1290703  by RRFAN

I just rode the notch train it was the best train ride I ever had GP35 no. 216 was pulling us and I got a nice Conway scenic railroad jacket. In my opinion best scenic railroad in New Hampshire.
 #1290807  by Reader#108

4266's schedule is usually as follows:

An odds or ends operating day during the spring.

Working the West end of the train during the Thomas Weekends

Working the West end of the train during Pumpkin Patch

Working West end of train during Polar Express

A few runs during Railfan Weekend

The 470 Club Excursion up through the Notch.

Back up in the Valley in case of an issue with 573 (Happened one Saturday earlier this summer)

There are plenty of opportunities to catch her running, like anything else, you have to be here when she runs.
 #1291969  by bpiche84

RRFAN wrote:I hear they had 9 notch cars now and wouldn't it be cool if they took a 9 to hazen or is that to much for 252 to pull back?
Considering that they ran 8 cars at the end of the notch season with just 252 a couple times after 216 went down, I think that it can handle it. Keep in mind these are engines designed for freight service. The 2nd engine is mostly for redundancy and to provide extra dynamics on the way back down the hill.
 #1291979  by p42thedowneaster

252 is a bit heavier than the old Fs, but I suspect she would also have traction issues coming out of Hazen if the rails were rusty, leaf covered, wet, or all of the above. They would probably send up 4266 (to fill in for 216) since she only has a couple of rfwknd duties scheduled, and one of them is shuttling the notch train anyways.

What's unclear also....does the 9 cars include the Millie, or is number 9 the old 3202?
Last edited by p42thedowneaster on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1291981  by Reader#108

If a single GP40 can pull 25 freight cars up the River Line into Deerfield,

I am going to guess that GP38 #252 or GP35 #216 can pull 9 passenger cars by themselves without any issue.
 #1291990  by MEC407

I would think that they would have to, unless the sanders were disabled/removed...? If the sanders are intact, having them be empty of sand would be considered an FRA defect, wouldn't it?
 #1292048  by bpiche84

p42thedowneaster wrote:252 is a bit heavier than the old Fs, but I suspect she would also have traction issues coming out of Hazen if the rails were rusty, leaf covered, wet, or all of the above. They would probably send up 4266 (to fill in for 216) since she only has a couple of rfwknd duties scheduled, and one of them is shuttling the notch train anyways.

What's unclear also....does the 9 cars include the Millie, or is number 9 the old 3202?
p42thedowneaster wrote:
Reader#108 wrote:If a single GP40 can pull 25 freight cars up the River Line into Deerfield,

I am going to guess that GP38 #252 or GP35 #216 can pull 9 passenger cars by themselves without any issue.
But does CSRX use sand at all?
MEC407 wrote:I would think that they would have to, unless the sanders were disabled/removed...? If the sanders are intact, having them be empty of sand would be considered an FRA defect, wouldn't it?
The 9 notch cars would be: The Hattie, Reed, Dome, Table, 3 notch coaches, the open car, and the extra coach painted up like the valley cars (number escapes me at the moment). The table car is (almost) exactly the same as the regular notch coaches (all 4 were bought from the Canadian commuter car pool at the same time), but with various improvements that turns it into a "coach plus" level of ticket.

Definitely use sand, and a non-working sander would be considered a defect/violation I believe.

Edit: Almost forgot. The Hazen's extra will be laid out the same way it was last year, I believe, with 216 on one end and 252 on the other. That negates needing the 4266 to shuttle the train over to the mountain division pickup point like was needed in other years past.
 #1292062  by Dick H

They need an engine on each end between Fabyan and Hazen's, as there is no runaround track west of Fabyan.
Even when there has been two locos on the west end going up through the Notch, they have split them at
Fabyan.

Check out the CSRR facebook page for the September 8th entry and photo. (right column)
https://www.facebook.com/ConwayScenicRailroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;