Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1278927  by Thomas

Steve F45 wrote:As for the curvature, im sure they are still using the plans for the NJ side, well since NJT had already started building the overpass for the future western portal on the nj side.
It is my understand that the plans are for the Gateway Alignment to be roughly the same (as ARC's) from Swift Interlocking through the Tunnel Portals. I think Amtrak did say that the Tunnel Alignment can also be the same to near the Hudson Slope (which I'm not sure how far that is from the shoreline).
 #1283649  by 25Hz

Don31 wrote:Pics of the concrete casement in this article:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/07/2 ... n_site.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link, those photos are pretty neat!
 #1283755  by Don31

25Hz wrote:
Don31 wrote:Pics of the concrete casement in this article:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/07/2 ... n_site.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link, those photos are pretty neat!
They are, but they don't to justice to the sheer scale of the whole thing......
 #1284144  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:
Thomas wrote:When Amtrak extends the Concrete Casing to the Penn Station Throat, will they have to dig up 10th Avenue in Manhattan, or can they just "underpin" 10th Avenue?
It will be cut-and-cover, so there will be some disruption.....
But, isn't the extension of the Concrete Casing underneath 10th Avenue to Penn Station's Throat not going to occur for an extended period of time?
Don31 wrote: 30% Design documents were submitted last week, 100% Design due in September...
Thus, it sounds as if the engineering of the Concrete Casing Extension will be completed--after it began--in a short period of time.
 #1284308  by Don31

Thomas wrote:
Don31 wrote:
Thomas wrote:When Amtrak extends the Concrete Casing to the Penn Station Throat, will they have to dig up 10th Avenue in Manhattan, or can they just "underpin" 10th Avenue?
It will be cut-and-cover, so there will be some disruption.....
But, isn't the extension of the Concrete Casing underneath 10th Avenue to Penn Station's Throat not going to occur for an extended period of time?
Don31 wrote: 30% Design documents were submitted last week, 100% Design due in September...
Thus, it sounds as if the engineering of the Concrete Casing Extension will be completed--after it began--in a short period of time.
Correct and correct....
 #1284316  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:Correct and correct...
Are the engineering studies for the next section of the Concrete Casing going to include an interlocking chamber near 12th Avenue?
 #1284330  by OportRailfan

Thomas wrote:
Are the engineering studies for the next section of the Concrete Casing going to include an interlocking chamber near 12th Avenue?
Why do you care so much like you have a vested interest in this or something?
 #1284590  by Thomas

OportRailfan wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Because my fear is that only the Portal Bridge Replacement and the Concrete Casing Projects get built!

In other words, I do think it is a strong possibility that the entire Gateway Project does not get constructed--and then the next time we have another Hurricane or something the Hudson Tunnels will have to shut down for an extended period of time--thus causing more congestion on the roads!
 #1284598  by Greg Moore

Thomas wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Because my fear is that only the Portal Bridge Replacement and the Concrete Casing Projects get built!

In other words, I do think it is a strong possibility that the entire Gateway Project does not get constructed--and then the next time we have another Hurricane or something the Hudson Tunnels will have to shut down for an extended period of time--thus causing more congestion on the roads!
And your solution to that is to keep badgering us here in Railroad.net?

Seriously, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but does tend to get a bit tedious.

Have you contacted your Congresscritters nearly as much?
 #1285029  by Greg Moore

Thomas wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:Have you contacted your Congresscritters nearly as much?
Not yet.

The middle of page 7 of this link has an update on the Concrete Casing. http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/400/247/Amt ... e-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you spent 1/2 the time badger the politicos as you do folks here, they'd be lining up to vote to get this thing done.

Get to work man! We need the tunnels!
 #1285293  by Thomas

Thomas wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:Have you contacted your Congresscritters nearly as much?
Not yet.

The middle of page 7 of this link has an update on the Concrete Casing. http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/400/247/Amt ... e-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It appears that Amtrak's request for the next section of the Concrete Casing only covers half of the cost.

Thus, will Amtrak pay for the other half from their own fare revenue?
 #1285404  by 25Hz

Thomas, the likelihood of gateway not being done is zero. It has been stated by amtrak that the salt water damage from sandy means eventually one of the tunnels or both will need to be shut down for extensive rehabilitation within 20 years. This was going to happen anyways when gateway became operational, but now it may happen before new tunnels are even begun. That is the real worry you should have. If one tunnel gets taken out of service, the stresses on the remaining tunnel may hasten its being shut as well. I blame voters and the people they put in office for this situation, but this is not the place for hashing out such topics.

Plain and simple: Gateway completion is now required to ensure continued trans-hudson NEC service.
 #1285451  by Thomas

25Hz wrote:Thomas, the likelihood of gateway not being done is zero. It has been stated by amtrak that the salt water damage from sandy means eventually one of the tunnels or both will need to be shut down for extensive rehabilitation within 20 years. This was going to happen anyways when gateway became operational, but now it may happen before new tunnels are even begun. That is the real worry you should have. If one tunnel gets taken out of service, the stresses on the remaining tunnel may hasten its being shut as well. I blame voters and the people they put in office for this situation, but this is not the place for hashing out such topics.

Plain and simple: Gateway completion is now required to ensure continued trans-hudson NEC service.
You bring up some solid points. However, I do think--really think--that Amtrak may HAVE to engage in prolonged tunnel outages to repair the Hurricane Sandy Damage.

Back in the early 2000's, the MTA used 9/11 as a legit excuse to help get funding on board for East Side Access--which worked! (Bloomberg ended up putting an ESA bond issue on a ballot).

But my question is, suppose that the new trans-hudson tunnels get built, with or without Block 780, will Amtrak simply just shut down both old Tunnels seven days a week, or will these tunnels only be closed on weekends, similar to the PATH WTC tubes?