Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1268951  by Metra210

Speaking of locomotive breakdowns, 210 really bit the bullet yesterday on the SWS and was doubleheaded with 116. I had both locomotives on Train 836. T831 had 116 and 210 of course, and broke down at Wrightwood. 210 was the problem child. HEP was lost, the air was dumped, the train had to express to Orland Park I think to make up for lost time. It was a big mess! I'm not sure what the problem may have been with 210, but I told a friend about it and he thinks it may have been an issue with the fuel system.

I just wanted to share what I witnessed with everyone. Also, has anyone seen 163 lately?
 #1268953  by TrainManUPRR

210 has been running pretty poorly for awhile now. Had it running solo a couple times. It was very slow, the engine surged pretty bad, and it smokes like a steam engine. The Winnebagoes can't be rebuilt soon enough! I just hope whoever does them does a better job than Progress did on the -3s.
 #1269078  by AMTK84

Despite all of the problems they're having with the F40PH-3's, I still think it is unlikely they will be retired any time soon. At the very least, I think there are other groups of locomotives (174-184, 185-214) that will go first when it comes time for retirements. When it comes time to retire something, it is only logical that the locomotives which have not been rebuilt in the longest amount of time will be the first to go. It is also worth noting that the warranty for the F40PH-3's was extended by Progress Rail in an attempt to atone for the many problems Metra has been experiencing with the locomotives.

416 is still at Western Avenue as of Friday 5/2/2014. I have been out on the Milwaukee District West at least once a week for the last few weeks, and I have not seen 417, 418, or 419 for a couple months now. Anyone know where any of those are?

163 is out and about on UP and ran to Elburn last night on #53.
 #1269085  by TrainManUPRR

Amtk84, I agree that you are absolutely correct- (unfortunately) the F40PH-3s are here to stay. There's no way Metra is going to retire units that got rebuild 4 years ago. I don't know where that rumor started but is 100% wrong. Metra considers the rebuilds the newest in their fleet. I've said before- when the RFP said the oldest units will be retired that in Metra's eyes the oldest on the roster are now the F40PH-2s. I didn't know that Progress gave them an extended warranty. That's a very good thing!

The Winnies are supposedly going to be rebuilt. I would guess that 155-184 are going to be retired and replaced. 179 and 182 are awful. 181 runs decent but its cab is full of rust. 180 and 184 are ok, but they're very slow. I can't imagine that the -2s on UP are in much better shape.

I saw 419 and 417 at 47th Street about 2 months ago. I'm 90% sure I remember seeing 418 there at one time as well. The last time I saw 419 there it had no radiators in it. I have no idea if they are still there, I don't know what's wrong with them either. I would imagine they are still there since you haven't seen them either but who knows. I'm curious to find out what's wrong with them. Maybe they are in the process of the -3C conversion? That would explain 419's condition when I saw it last. Anyone ever hear any more about 401 either?
 #1269527  by AMTK84

The 150-173 group were overhauled from 2004-2006 (149 was done as well), so I think those could possibly stay a little longer. 174-184 are the units which have gone longest without an overhaul, followed by the Winnebagos and MP36's. So, if Metra does retire anything--doubtful given the current state funding situation--I suspect 174-184 will be the first to go...assuming they are not rebuilt in the meantime, of course.
 #1273251  by TrainManUPRR

That was the Talgo that was supposed to be used for Hiawatha high speed service until their governor shut that project down. Heard the Talgos are going to be stored in Beech Grove now.

Also saw 425 getting transferred to 47th Street yesterday. Wonder what blew up on it?
 #1273588  by AMTK84

In many of the recordings I have of 425 over the past year or so, the turbocharger has been really loud. So perhaps 425's turbo finally bought the big one?

Its also possible that 425 could be at 47th Street for PTC installation...or even a -3C conversion. Before we get too excited about -3C conversions, however, it is worth noting that the contract was only very recently approved--and thus the smaller details could very likely still be in the works.
 #1276149  by TrainManUPRR

425 blew something big. Could be the turbo. Parts flew all over the engine room with coolant everywhere. 161 has been at 47th for the last few days as well. Not sure what happened to it but it looks like it's repaired. The air filter hatch on the roof looks new or at least repainted.
 #1278339  by TrainManUPRR

^As far as I know 207, 408, and 409 are all running fine. They might be in for inspection. 194 got towed in the same day 161 was FINALLY returned to the UP. I believe 161 has been out of service since at least March/April. Don't know what was done to it other than you can tell the air filter hatch on the roof was repainted, so I assume it was removed to do whatever work was done to it. Not sure what broke on 194 I just know it came to 47th dead.

203 wouldn't stay running this evening, and they ended up cancelling train 613 because of it. 203 has been a problem child on the Rock for awhile now. 204's turbo has been dying for awhile now, and 208's engine hunts badly in notch 8. 207 has actually been running great since it blew up at 31st Street a few months ago.

The F40PH-2s on the Rock aren't any better. 179 and 182 have dying main generators- they frequently won't load for a good 15 seconds after opening the throttle up. 182's blended braking is screwed up as well. That's why either 179 or 182 are usually the protector. 181 is super slow and the cab roof is brown with rust. 184 should be renamed the "City of Wheelslip" because that's all it does in power and braking. At least 180 is running well.

These engines are all WAY overdue for a rebuild. I hope they just overhaul them in house instead of rebuild them into -3s because the -3s are horrible, too.
 #1279989  by TrainManUPRR

Noticed a couple interesting bids on the Metra website. One for the rehab of the F40C's- it did NOT mention anything about a genset coversion. The other is a request for USED commuter locomotives. Why not just keep the remaining F40PH-2s ins5ead of buy some used piece of garbage!?

I assume they are moving forward with the Winnebago rebuild- why not rebuild the F40PH-2s too?