Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1261316  by TrainManUPRR

207 continues to be a problem child on the Rock Island. It broke down again last night on one of its first solo runs since being shopped after its breakdown 2 weeks ago. It was back at 47th today for more repairs. The Winnebagos really need an overhaul!

I wonder if the MPs will be getting overhauled when they get their -3C conversions? They are 11 years old now, and most have over 500,000 miles on them.

I'm glad to hear 155 is back in service. Has anyone heard anything more about 176? Also F40CFan, please follow up if you find out what happened with the MP today. I always enjoyed reading this thread, hopefully we can get some life into it again.
 #1261558  by c604.

Concerning the 400's getting a complete overhaul vs just HEP modification: The budget allocation for the project is $9 million, that comes out to about $333,000 per unit. The allocation for the winnebago rehab is $10 million for up to ten units, or around $1 million per unit. I can't find figures for what it cost to overhaul the 148-173 in house to compare this to but it looks like the 400's may be getting HEP modification only, that is unless the 400's are completly rebuilt with cheap parts and workmanship and, well, nevermind...;-)
 #1261595  by Metra210

TrainManUPRR wrote:207 continues to be a problem child on the Rock Island. It broke down again last night on one of its first solo runs since being shopped after its breakdown 2 weeks ago. It was back at 47th today for more repairs. The Winnebagos really need an overhaul!

I wonder if the MPs will be getting overhauled when they get their -3C conversions? They are 11 years old now, and most have over 500,000 miles on them.

I'm glad to hear 155 is back in service. Has anyone heard anything more about 176? Also F40CFan, please follow up if you find out what happened with the MP today. I always enjoyed reading this thread, hopefully we can get some life into it again.
I caught 176 a couple hours ago at Melrose Park. It was leading UP West Line Train #53.
 #1261974  by TrainManUPRR

c604. wrote:Concerning the 400's getting a complete overhaul vs just HEP modification: The budget allocation for the project is $9 million, that comes out to about $333,000 per unit. The allocation for the winnebago rehab is $10 million for up to ten units, or around $1 million per unit. I can't find figures for what it cost to overhaul the 148-173 in house to compare this to but it looks like the 400's may be getting HEP modification only, that is unless the 400's are completly rebuilt with cheap parts and workmanship and, well, nevermind...;-)
LOL! I hadn't seen the budgets for those projects, thanks for posting those! I think you are right that with that budget the MPs will be getting only the HEP modification.

Thanks to 210 and Larry for the reports on 176 and 207 as well!
 #1264085  by Milwaukee_F40C

Here's somebody's long boring video of the commotion with 176 last month, so something did happen to it. Like most Youtube videos of trains, I recommend watching it DVR style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJiB7vGomQw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1264284  by TrainManUPRR

^Lol. Thanks for sharing.

The MPs and -2s aren't the only ones with mechanical problems! 116 died coming into CUS during yesterday's evening rush while working the SWS It died completely- no power or HEP. Tons of smoke in the engine room. BNSF mechanical came over from 14th Street (it died right across from the yard on main track 5), but couldn't get it started again. After a long delay 113 was brought out of the Zephyr Pit and tied on top of the train.
 #1264552  by LedZeppelinFan85

Actually F40cfan, I think that article about retiring Metra 100-127 would make sense and I do agree with what you said about retiring those specific F40 units. I chatted with an engineer on the Union Pacific Northwest Line and he said that the rebuilt F40PH-3s are pieces of garbage since Metra had them rebuilt down in Kentucky. He said that they run even worse than the ones that weren't rebuilt. Another guy I talked to, who works on the Union Pacific lines said that they even use duct tape to hold some of the parts together inside the locomotives. He sad that rebuilding those units was a total waste of time and they now run even worse than they did before.
 #1264579  by Thunder

Died? Some ex up engineer broke the crankshaft! I swear some of the guys we get now....But anyway. If only people knew about the bubble gum and baling wire fixes that happen daily.They might take their cars.
 #1265190  by F40CFan

c604. wrote:that is unless the 400's are completly rebuilt with cheap parts and workmanship and, well, nevermind...;-)
That might be an improvement..............
 #1266423  by TrainManUPRR

At this point I'd take a 400 over these "rebuilds" any day. The SWS has 116 which is back but can ony run in a double header because it's not reliable enough to run solo.

Today 117 was surging like crazy, they'll be lucky if it doesn't die before it gets back downtown. Say what you want about the 400s, but I've experienced 2 different breakdowns on -3s that aren't even 4 years old in the laat month, and the 10+ year old MPs on the Rock seem to at least make it over the road.

I sure hope they do better rebuilding the Winnebagos!
 #1266862  by TrainManUPRR

Just an update on 117. Train 830 was limped into CUS. The BN mechanics were there to meet the train. They tried to replqce a computer module which the computer said was broken, and when they put the new module in and booted the computer back up the electrical cabinet caught on fire! It will need a whole new electrical cabinet now. Aren't these rebuilds great!?

Needless to say 117 is at 14th Street for now. Not sure but I would guess it will be transferred to 47th Street for repair. I have seen 116 back out and running double headed with 213 the last few days. Not sure what was the problem that caused it to die a couple weeks ago.