Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1256827  by c604.

Just curious, what facilies does KYD have for a diesel locomotive that 47th street dosn't? 405 was there at one point too.

I think 401 had its frame damaged/bent a few years ago, maybe they're repairing that?
 #1256835  by TrainManUPRR

KYD does sheet metal work. As far as I know they don't handle any diesel engine work at all. I would guess KYD is fixing the damage on 401, unless they just tear it up for parts (which I DON'T see happening).

It would seem to me that in its current state, 401 would likely be the first candidate for the -3C conversion once they get that project under way. How long has it been out of service now anyway? It has to be a couple years at least!
 #1256855  by metraRI

TrainManUPRR wrote:Also, 207 had a pretty major mechanical problem on train 419 during the evening rush. It died out at 35th Street and couldn't be restarted. Passengers were transferred to a different train which was pulled by 202.
On Monday train #530 also died at 35th Street... with 202. Train was cancelled, passengers were transferred onto train #532. #531 (11:15p) was also cancelled, passengers had to wait for #533 (12:30a).
 #1257323  by F40CFan

AMTK84 wrote:416 and 418 are out of service for unknown mechanical reasons. While it's kind of unlikely, perhaps at least one of these is for a -3C conversion?
416 has been sitting on the storage track with 611 and 614 for the past week or so.
 #1258968  by TrainManUPRR

I'm not sure if 161 went back to the UP or not, but I didn't see it at 47th anymore today. I did see both 155 and 117 parked inside the shop, however.

419 is still parked in the same place outside 47th as well. I wonder what's wrong with it?
 #1259511  by Metra210

Over the weekend, 176 had a fire while pushing an inbound train in Mount Prospect
Obviously it's out of commission, but does anyone know for how long and how serious the fire damage may have been? I am curious as to what might become of 176.
 #1260015  by F40CFan

I could have swore I saw 176 pushing a train into the terminal this morning.
 #1260317  by TrainManUPRR

117 and 155 are both gone from 47th. 419 is still there, and being shuttled around the diesel shop though. It looks like it doesn't have any radiators in it right now.

207 is finally back running again. I haven't seen it since it broke down and left train 419 stranded a couple weeks ago. It has been the trailing unit in a doubleheader the past couple days- it was with an MP yesterday and with another Winnebago this evening.

Any more sightings of 176? The few remaining F40PH-2s are pretty worn out. I think it's been about 12 years since the -2s and the Winnies have been overhauled. I would imagine even the MPs are due for an overhaul, they're 11 years old already! It's really too bad we have all these stupid EPA emissions laws. It's be nice if they could rebuild the F40s without a stupid computer.
 #1260606  by AMTK84

155 has not run on UP since July 2013.

161 has not run on UP since earlier this month.

176 is back in service. It ran UP-W inbound train #32 on Wednesday morning, so that would mean it ran outbound #55 Tuesday night.

416 and 418 are still out of service as of 3/27/2014, for unknown reasons.
 #1260628  by TrainManUPRR

What happened to 155? It was running at 47th and moving under its own power. It might have gone to KYD, but I'm not sure. 419 has been out of service a long time, too. Glad that 176 is back! Must've been a pretty minor issue.
 #1260785  by Metra210

I am so happy to hear 176 has returned, but I'm sure an investigation was done to determine the exact cause of the fire so it doesn't happen again, to any unit. Does anyone have any information on exactly why 176 experienced that fire?
 #1260799  by TrainManUPRR

I'm not sure what- if anything- caused it, but I guarantee you no type of investigation was done. They just fix it and move on. Whatever it was could not have been very serious if it was fixed this fast. Do we even know for a fact there was an actual fire? It could've just been a bunch of smoke from something as simple as a bad traction motor, and once people saw the smoke just blew it way out of proportion. I tend to believe that this fire story was way overblown if 176 is on the road again already.
 #1260853  by Metra210

TrainManUPRR wrote:I'm not sure what- if anything- caused it, but I guarantee you no type of investigation was done. They just fix it and move on. Whatever it was could not have been very serious if it was fixed this fast. Do we even know for a fact there was an actual fire? It could've just been a bunch of smoke from something as simple as a bad traction motor, and once people saw the smoke just blew it way out of proportion. I tend to believe that this fire story was way overblown if 176 is on the road again already.
That's probably what happened, but since no one got footage of any fire until after the firefighters arrived on the scene, we may never know what happened exactly. Power was lost to the coaches when the incident occurred, but I think the crews simply did an emergency shutdown to avoid any further problems.
 #1261272  by F40CFan

An MP36 (I didn't get the number) bit the big one this morning deadheading from CUS to Western Ave. It had everything backed up for a while.