Railroad Forums 

• Empire Service Halted Due To M-N Derailment

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1232388  by Greg Moore

brettj22 wrote:If the Empire corridor had been completely disrupted could the adirondack operate via Vermont back to NYP? Also, given the current situation, would anything prevent amtrak from adding revenue stops at Poughkeepsie and CH during peak hours for customers wiling to pay to avoid the bussing scenario?

No, there's really no way today to get the Adirondack to NYP via Vermont.

And there's no need at this point apparently for any bussing as it appears the trains are running again on the Empire Service.
 #1232401  by amm in ny

pumpers wrote:All of the other departures [after 11:48] have trip durations only slightly longer than normal, so they seem to be more or less back to normal. The scheduled 5:15 PM is the only one which still hasn't left, but it is set to go at 5:45.
FWIW, I just saw my son off at Croton at 18:25 (to ALB), on the Lake Shore Limited, which was scheduled to depart at 16:25. The NB Ethan Allen (due 15:58) had not arrrived, nor had the NB 17:58 train. Of course, this may count as "back to normal" for Amtrak.
 #1232404  by DutchRailnut

again for Amtrak to be on time we don't check time, we check the date.
 #1232435  by MBTA1016

Rockingham Racer wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:again for Amtrak to be on time we don't check time, we check the date.

Dutch, that's one of the best ones I've heard in a long time! :-D
Second that one. Nice one liner Dutch.
 #1233288  by 25Hz

twropr wrote:According to press reports, the Metro-North derailment occurred at 7:22 am, about 100 ft north of Spuyten Duyvil Station. This should be far enough south of CP 12 (point where Amtrak's Empire Line diverges from the Met's Hudson Line) to not affect Empire Service. But, it did.
MAPLE LEAFT #63 was the first train north, leaving NY's Penn Station at 11:49 am (3'34" LT). The first train to leave Albany-Rensselaer was #236 at 11:47 am (3'32" LT). What I don't understand is why Empire train #250, which arrived Croton-Harmon on time at 7:55 am, could not have been advanced at tt speed to Yonkers and authorized to operate at restricted speed to CP 12 for a visual inspection. Once at CP 12, the TE crew could have advised the Met's RTC (dispatcher) that CP 12 was not fouled and the RTC could have displayed a signal for the Empire Line, allowing the Amtrak's to run after that.
I know this is Monday morning (dah - I mean Sunday afternoon) quarterbacking, but you can see the logic of my question,

Andy
Maple leaf leaving that late is going to screw those canadian, buffalo and niagara falls bound passengers.... they likely got in an additional 2-3 hours late due to missing their slot on CSX. Anyone have a final arrival time for that train? i feel bad also for the CBP folks at niagara falls ontario station having to wait so long to go home and all those folks waiting for the train to arrive along the entire route