• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BostonUrbEx

The pedestrian strike at Oak Island Rd in Revere was fatal. Still under investigation. 23-y-o was killed.
  by GP40MC1118

181 leaving off Track 10 had nothing to do with the incident in Oak Island. Just a late
equipment swap.

Train 68 struck and killed a trespasser at Oak Island crossing in Revere. No.183 stopped
just short of the incident.

Compounding that incident was PAR freight POSE struggling with mechanical issues coming
into Lawrence delaying Amtrak 687, 231-233-235-236-237-238.

To add insult to injury, the 1014 had a serious mechanical failure in Rockport when it arrived
on No.129. An extra out of BET overnight will be swapping its set out.

When it rains, it pours...

D
  by BandM4266

GP40MC1118 wrote:181 leaving off Track 10 had nothing to do with the incident in Oak Island. Just a late
equipment swap.

Train 68 struck and killed a trespasser at Oak Island crossing in Revere. No.183 stopped

Compounding that incident was PAR freight POSE struggling with mechanical issues coming

To add insult to injury, the 1014 had a serious mechanical failure in Rockport when it arrived

D
Well 3247 is in Rockport tied onto 1014, but even 3247 sounded as if it almost needed a rescue after arrival.

Added** after I typed above, train 145 came in and tied on and became the rescue for the stranded 1014 and 3247.
  by StefanW

http://www.tpdnews411.com/2013/11/confirmed-fatality-oak-island-cr-revere.html
Confirmed Fatality Oak Island CR-Revere

Death Investigation
On November 14, 2013 at approximately 6pm Transit Police officers from Area 2 received a radio call to respond to Oak Island Commuter Rail station for a person possibly struck by a train. Multiple Transit Police units responded along with Revere Police, Fire and EMS. Transit Police personnel on scene report the following preliminary information; The Newburyport/Rockport CR Line (Eastern Route) on track 2 in the vicinity of the Oak Island Road Grade Crossing in Revere a male was struck by an MBTA CR train and has been pronounced deceased as a result of injuries sustained. The inbound train was due to arrive in Boston at approximately 6:15 pm. The accident occurred at approximately 5:54 pm. This incident has greatly impacted the rush hour commute and trains on Track 1 (outbound) are passing through at limited speeds.

Transit Police detectives along with the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office are currently investigating the facts and circumstances leading to the incident.
As I'm typing this I'm on #162, which slowed to something like 30 or 40 MPH and sounded the horn at Oak Island crossing. Normally the speed is 70MPH and it's a quiet grade crossing.
  by AEM7AC920

BandM4266 wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:181 leaving off Track 10 had nothing to do with the incident in Oak Island. Just a late
equipment swap.

D
Well 3247 is in Rockport tied onto 1014, but even 3247 sounded as if it almost needed a rescue after arrival.

Added** after I typed above, train 145 came in and tied on and became the rescue for the stranded 1014 and 3247.
The 3247 has been nothing but trouble for weeks now... It died on me multiple times when I had it on the wash train and I made sure to complain enough for it to be cut the same night! Guess some things never change, glad I'm away for a bit with all of the madness going on :-D
  by KB1KVD

Sounds like 1014 might not be down for breakfast. Supposedly it had a crankcase failure.
  by deathtopumpkins

1015 having issues? It was parked on the spur at Beverly this morning surrounded by a couple MBCR trucks.
  by octr202

Happy wet Monday morning. #208 out of Haverhill started being reported as a 20-25 min delay, then a 35-45 min delay, and finally I guess it just gave up the ghost altogether and was cancelled. Should make for a nice crowded 212...

Updated: 212 taking a delay as a result. Another morning to be glad I commute early.

Haverhill Line Train 212 (7:30 am from Haverhill) running 20-25 mins late due to mechanical problems.
  by AEM7AC920

deathtopumpkins wrote:1015 having issues? It was parked on the spur at Beverly this morning surrounded by a couple MBCR trucks.
Could be replacing the 3247 as the protect engine, it usually sits in Beverly yard until after the morning rush.
  by sery2831

The 1015 was on the wash train, so it might have been holding down protect duties.

#212 shoved #208 into Boston from Lawrence. The 1005 on #208 was having issues.
  by mdamico23

Looks like the Fitchburg Line is in trouble tonight (11/18). Train 424 from Fithchburg died at Littleton Station (power was 1033). 424 was later cancelled and the MBTA announced that train 466 from South Acton would pick up its passengers. Not sure if 466 went out to Littleton or the passengers were bussed to South Acton. Train 425 passed the disabled 466 at Littleton Station and ran 'wrong main' (inbound track) all the way through CPF-WL and Ayer. There was about a 3-min delay as we were briefly held east of The Willows. Now moving track speed toward Shirley still running 'wrong main'-will probably cross over at Derby Curve unless PAS has something moving on #1 track.

-mike
  by BostonUrbEx

There was a suspicious package on a Forge Park / 495 train earlier. Inbound was finally released 85+ minutes late, and a few delays cascaded from the incident.
  by sery2831

#424 was left and rescued later by a yard crew after rush hour. #466 (Rotem set with the 011) did indeed operate west to Littleton to get the crew and passengers of #424. And on top of that my train, #468 suffered a HEP failure between Concord and Lincoln with the 1122 loco. After a few attempts of reviving it, we operated into the city dark.
  by mbta1051dan

sery2831 wrote:#424 was left and rescued later by a yard crew after rush hour. #466 (Rotem set with the 011) did indeed operate west to Littleton to get the crew and passengers of #424. And on top of that my train, #468 suffered a HEP failure between Concord and Lincoln with the 1122 loco. After a few attempts of reviving it, we operated into the city dark.
Should have gotten Cummins, I am a CAT fan too but not impressed with the performance of these HEP sets from what I hear
  by AEM7AC920

The new motors that were put in are far more reliable..