• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by tvachon

Day 3 of malfunctioning gates at willows and sandy pond on the Fitchburg line for the evening rush.

To quote something heard over the radio "the friggin trifecta district 3". No I won't say the train number to protect the innocent and comically releaving.

Also it took D3 4 minutes to respond to multiple calls, guess everyone needs a potty break too.

Oh and it's so common/expected, no t alerts today
  by BostonUrbEx

Komarovsky wrote:Worcester line is blowing up tonight because of "police action" related delays. P521 and p524 are delayed probably an hour or so, p523 is delayed at least half an hour and p583 is cancelled outright. Presumably the remainder of the outbound peak trains will be delayed as well. Anyone know what the "police action" was?
It was the POTUS motorcade. The motorcade had all Worcester, Needham, and Amtrak trains stopped while the president sailed down a closed Mass Pike just shy of 5pm.
  by sery2831

tvachon wrote:Day 3 of malfunctioning gates at willows and sandy pond on the Fitchburg line for the evening rush.

To quote something heard over the radio "the friggin trifecta district 3". No I won't say the train number to protect the innocent and comically releaving.

Also it took D3 4 minutes to respond to multiple calls, guess everyone needs a potty break too.

Oh and it's so common/expected, no t alerts today
What we can't hear on Dist 3 is the entire District. Dist 3 covers all the way to NY State and the North/South Conn River Line. When they do not answer, they could be on the radio handling another situation or issuing a Form D. So sometimes they take a few minutes to get to us.
  by tvachon

sery2831 wrote:What we can't hear on Dist 3 is the entire District. Dist 3 covers all the way to NY State and the North/South Conn River Line. When they do not answer, they could be on the radio handling another situation or issuing a Form D. So sometimes they take a few minutes to get to us.
Oh completely understood. I need my dry humor flag on that. The radio call made us all within earshot laugh quite nicely, which helped us take our mind off how after 3 full working days we will have two specific gates messed up. I can understand that willows is complex due to the interlocking and 3 (possibly 4) grade gates, but 3 days? Stony brook, well that is beyond my understanding.

I haven't seen any conduit go in between Ayer and Shirley, only the huts, so I guess I lack comprehension here or why we are under full guard when I have seen two trips of bad gates cause on the ground flag men on the Lowell line to be dispatched which help keep some order.

I guess it begs the question when a willow falls into a stony pond, who is responsible to fix? (Dry humor + real question)
  by MBTA1016

BostonUrbEx wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:Worcester line is blowing up tonight because of "police action" related delays. P521 and p524 are delayed probably an hour or so, p523 is delayed at least half an hour and p583 is cancelled outright. Presumably the remainder of the outbound peak trains will be delayed as well. Anyone know what the "police action" was?
It was the POTUS motorcade. The motorcade had all Worcester, Needham, and Amtrak trains stopped while the president sailed down a closed Mass Pike just shy of 5pm.
And that's on top of rush hour and game day traffic. Redsox currently rolling over saint Louis 6-0. Get the duckboats ready
  by BostonUrbEx

Trespassers on Worcester Line off of Lansdowne St. One party jumped onto a train which was forced to stop. Others may have dispersed. MBTA Transit PD has no officers available for a full sweep.
  by nomis

Mbta fan wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:
And that's on top of rush hour and game day traffic. Redsox currently rolling over saint Louis 6-0. Get the duckboats ready
By 5 pm, they passed me EB while I traveled WB on the pike around 6:45pm.
  by BostonUrbEx

All trains departed at 1:00am tonight. Last one was out of South Station at about 1:03.
  by deathtopumpkins

nomis wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:
POTUS was westbound between 4 and 5, then eastbound just before 7. Went to a fundraiser in Westborough.

I don't see why trains gad to be cancelled though. I can understand closing the pike, but the teains seemed unnecessary. Did they close the orange line too, since it also parallels the pike for a minute?
  by octr202

deathtopumpkins wrote:
nomis wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:
POTUS was westbound between 4 and 5, then eastbound just before 7. Went to a fundraiser in Westborough.

I don't see why trains gad to be cancelled though. I can understand closing the pike, but the trains seemed unnecessary. Did they close the orange line too, since it also parallels the pike for a minute?
Most annoyingly, I saw photos of the motorcade passing cars in the opposing lanes on the Pike. They didn't clear the traffic off the other side of the highway, but trains had to be delayed and cancelled. Go figure.
  by Komarovsky

Power shortages back again? The 773/774 on Fairmount and Worcester p583, the super express are cancelled today.
  by BostonUrbEx

Komarovsky wrote:Power shortages back again? The 773/774 on Fairmount and Worcester p583, the super express are cancelled today.
Not surprised. Halloween extras running to Salem.
  by tvachon

BostonUrbEx wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:Power shortages back again? The 773/774 on Fairmount and Worcester p583, the super express are cancelled today.

Really? They are going to pull engines from the South side to handle? I always thought a south/north move was a bit of a production (less so now that grand junction is back alive I believe)
  by octr202

Not that there's ANY correlation, but I've noticed a few more F40 rebuilds than usual running around the northside. Not that we can read anything into that... ;-)

Yesterday was probably a mess everywhere. Lots of delays for multiple reasons on much of the northside last night. And this morning (Friday) it's got to be prime slippery rail conditions with the dampness and wind. Buckle up.
  by AEM7AC920

tvachon wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:

Really? They are going to pull engines from the South side to handle? I always thought a south/north move was a bit of a production (less so now that grand junction is back alive I believe)
Nothing was pulled directly from the south side yesterday to cover the Halloween extras, even with the extra trains we had another spare set still available on top of that so I'm sure that was an isolated south side issue not directly related to up here. :wink: